Important Introductions | Teen Ink

Important Introductions

By romeses27 BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
romeses27 BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan

I recall fidgeting in the passenger seat of what is now my car but used to be my stepmom’s. Anxiety was present but I was managing to calm my nerves. Although despite my efforts, it felt like my heart was beating out of my chest. This upcoming event was one of the big moments that could be experienced once, or many times over. I wanted this one to be the last.

Meeting a girlfriend’s parents isn’t a joke. It’s not a circumstance I take lightly if I want a lasting relationship with her. A crucial point in any relationship is the parents. If I’m not liked by dad or mom, it won’t work. I know I cannot be uptight, but it also isn’t a day with the guys. No goofing off and joking around, just being as professional as possible. Meeting her parents could give me an insight of my possible future with her. Every habit they have, she might pick up on and bring with her. Anything from the style of furniture, to how she treats kids, to what meal she cooks (if she’s even the cooking type).

With all these worst-case scenarios rushing through my head, I hadn’t even noticed we had pulled into the driveway. But those thoughts left as new ones entered. I, without meaning to, had began to judge everything about their house. Not that there was anything bad, but subconsciously I had began scanning for anything that might give me a sign that she’s not the one. Nothing stood out, other than the porch, of course. It was a nice dark mahogany after sundown and it really stood out, but it also looked really fitting. It matched the little wooden wall that surrounded a tree, similar to one that might border a garden that is elevated just slightly above the ground.

After examining everything about the exterior, I felt I was ready to meet the interior, both the occupants and decorations. As I walked up the few steps of the porch. I looked over all of the smaller ornaments, a bird feeder right in front of their large window, a small stone slab with the twins’ handprints forever indented in it. All just minor things that would soon become unnoticeable to the common eye.

I walked to the door with heart in my chest. Nervous as to what events would occur tonight. I knocked on the glass door and waited. What if they didn’t hear me? Should I knock again? What if they did hear me and they were just taking a little while to get to the door? If I knocked again I’d seem rude but if I didn’t I’d get left out here. What do I--

Just as I was thinking about opening the glass door and knocking on the solid one, she opened it. Yes, my girlfriend opened the door and she did one of those things were she leans on the door like she’s not letting you in. Which would’ve been fine by me, just standing there looking at her, if it hadn’t been so cold outside.

“Hey Claudia.” I said, trying to sound like I had it together.

“Hey babe.” She replied. It’s funny how she can make any everyday word seem special to you. There were millions of people being called ‘babe’ out there but yet to me, it felt like I was the only one that mattered. The breeze started to get to me and she noticed that she had the doorway blocked. “Would you like to come in?”

“Sure.” I replied.

As soon as I stepped in, I felt at home, but oddly out of place at the same time. The walls were different colors in almost every room that I could see, including a beige accent wall. There was a gray love seat with its back a few inches from the door on my left. There was a maroon blanket draped over the top of it. On the accent wall, there was a chocolatey couch with a few patterned, throw pillows. I saw her mother moving throughout the kitchen and her dad sitting on the near side of the couch with his phone in hand.

“Mom, dad, he’s here” She said, catching their attention. Her dad looked up and smiled at me. I walked over and we introduced ourselves with the good ‘ol handshake and ‘nice to meet you’s’. I made my way into the kitchen and did the same with her mom.

After being formally introduced, I couldn’t help but wonder whose little voices I was hearing from the next room over. I poked my head in through the door frame and two identical little girls, just stared at me. I smiled at them, trying to make them a little more comfortable. They had identical blue eyes and curly hair. That was definitely from their mom. I thought they were almost as cute as my 5 year-old sister back home. I couldn’t help but smile at them as they stared at me, blank faced. Claudia stepped in to help me.

“Girls, this is Colin, the boy I’ve told you about.”

“Colin!” The girls exclaimed. They then ran into my legs and squeezed harder than I knew little girls could.

Claudia tried to explain how to tell them apart but it was hopeless. I sat on their bed and I read them books, played with their toys with them, just generally enjoying the excitement they had. But the fun drew to an end as her mom yelled from the other room for dinner.

We all walked into the dining room and grabbed our mismatched plates. I wondered what it would be. My stomach churned, what if I don’t like it? What if it’s weird? As I took my plate to the kitchen counter, I managed to hold back an audible sigh as I saw the food. Spaghetti. A good reliable dinner for guests. I could definitely handle dinner tonight.

Dinner was quiet for the most part, with some small talk here and there. A little about me, a little about them. After dinner though was when we talked consistently and expressed opinions of the show we were watching.

“Making a Murderer” was a tv series explaining the trial of a man convicted of murder. We discussed whether we thought the man was innocent or if the evidence was enough to lock him away.

“He’s guilty, I know he is.” her mother said with confidence. She seemed pretty sure of her point so I wasn’t going to argue.

“From what I’ve seen, I agree, but I don’t have a definite opinion yet.

Just as I was about to express my true opinion, my phone went off. As I looked down, headlights waved across the large window. I knew it was time to go. Although the night's events had been a success. It was a relief to leave. I shook her parents’ hand, one last time, gave the girls a hug, one last time, and gave Claudia a kiss, one last time.