Birthday Blues | Teen Ink

Birthday Blues

By libbysblissiswriting BRONZE, Miami, Florida
libbysblissiswriting BRONZE, Miami, Florida
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

Give them something to talk about.

Tomorrow is my 15th birthday. The day that apparently I “officially become a women”, and the transition to no longer being considered a little girl that enjoys playing with dolls instead I will be a mature teenager leading a mature life just like the mature girl that everybody expects me to be. My mother has been making a big deal about this oh so joyous occasion all week and my father barely even remembered it, my friends at school have been approaching me with exited expressions on their face exclaiming that its my birthday tomorrow as if I wasn’t aware. My best friend is even throwing me a surprise birthday dinner, which isn’t even a surprise anymore (just another flaw of birthdays). It seems that everybody is prepared and exited for this occasion except the birthday girl itself, because frankly I dread turning 15 years old tomorrow.

I must come off as a very negative girl, who wears all black, listens to hard metal and despises the world and everything in it yet surprisingly that is not the case. As a matter of fact, I’m considered to be a very upbeat child to the point where it gets annoying. My bothersome unusual high pitched voice is almost impossible to block out, and the vibrant colors that I flaunt on my body daily are difficult to ignore. So you may be wondering, why would a girl like me repulse the fact that tomorrow is my 15th birthday? Simply, its just not the right time. Its not the right time to grow up, I have barely had any experiences and now that I am maturing the world will expect more from me, graduating high school, going to college, getting a job and the list continues. Life seems to only get harder as you age so why would I celebrate the fact that tomorrow my life is just going to become even more complex.

Maybe I get this negative point of view from my mother, she has never been one to enjoy birthdays if anything she despises her birthday. She begins the day by scrutinizing anybody that asks her how old she is turning or mentions her age, this is probaly because she has the soul of a 20 year old, wild and free. She tells me to make the most of my childhood and collect experiences that I will never forget but now its just a ticking time bomb and there isn’t much time left before its all over. For example, my main concern about tomorrow is getting my French homework done and doing good on my history test! Basically, growing up is terrible and there is nothing to look forward to not the cake I plan on devouring tomorrow or the gifts I will receive. All I want is to freeze time, there for here is a public service announcement: if you see me dragging my self down the halls tomorrow in a grumpy manor don’t bother wishing me a happy birthday.

dont even try wishing me a happy birthday!