Swinging Go | Teen Ink

Swinging Go

June 20, 2016
By LatteMonster SILVER, Durham, New Hampshire
LatteMonster SILVER, Durham, New Hampshire
6 articles 10 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I can sum up everything I have learned about life in three words: It goes on."
-Robert Frost


I was in a pretty crappy mood when I made a crazy decision.

It was the Saturday after my last eight grade day. Traditionally I spent the day drowning in yogurt, Netflix, and my own tears. But not this year! Of course, Mama and the other Girl Scout leaders decided to do a boating badge on that day. My sad day. I only asked for one a year. Naturally, I was pretty pissed.

The beginning of the trip had not been so amazing. Being stuck steering on a canoe was no fun, I just wanted to go home. So, following Murphy's Law of course, we had to make a stop. At a rope swing no less. The other girls wanted to swing off and into the river. I pouted in the corner, waiting very impatiently to move on. After a bit, my dad turned to me.

"Did you want a turn?" He asked as a girlish scream and splash sounded next to us.

"Dad, I don't have a swim suit on," I protested. And it was true. I hadn't thought to wear one. We were boating, not swimming. 'Oh, to hell with it.' I thought. "Sure, why not?" I said, handing him my sunglasses. "Don't lose these." I commanded, with no answer.

Eventually, we managed to coax the girl in front of me to swing off and it was my turn. Emphasis on eventually. Anyway, back to me. I’m the protagonist here! Two other girls waiting in the water, egging me on. I took one breath in, releasing it slowly. What the heck do I have to lose? I thought.

Time slowed as I swung through the air. I don’t even remember letting go, just free falling down the into the water. The standard splash sounded as I entered the water, feet first. My life jacket I was wearing utterly failed, but as the water soaked my clothing I managed to keep myself afloat. The shock wore off, and I started laughing along with the other girls.

My clothes were soaked, but my soul had dried. As I swung off that small cliff, I let go of the sadness of the end of the year. And when I let go of that rope and jumped into the water, I welcomed the future, and with it new memories and challenges to come.