Friends | Teen Ink

Friends

When I was little, I had this one friend and together we were adventurous.  We played video games but that wasn’t why we connected so well.  We were really good friends because we would love to explore the outdoors and a gravel pit right across the way from his house.  The gravel pit was the place we would go to if we wanted to escape the real world.  The adventures we had, made a memory for him and I to remember forever.  They weren’t just any adventure it was fun and thrilling because I got to do it with my best friend.

We would always climb up this steep and rocky hill that was like climbing up a muddy hill that your shoes could never grip onto.  Getting up was the easy part but it was tricky getting down because if we slipped, we would have fall down a hill with pot holes and big rocks.  But before we went down the hill we would sit on the edge and talk about random things and what was going on in our lives.  On the top of that hill is where I remember a friendship building and growing because we trusted each other with important things going on.

The one thing I loved going into the gravel pit for, was going onto his neighbor's property and messing around.  The problem about going to his neighbor’s house was, his house was on a private property and whenever we went on to his property he would threaten to call the cops on us.  The most memorable time going on his property was when my friends brother took us onto the guy's property and 10 other people and me were all hiding in the bushes, while our friends brother went up to the house and threw a pebble at the window to get his attention and we definitely got his attention.  Then he sent out his dogs to chase us off the property and as soon as we all saw the dogs we took off running toward the gravel pit, so we could hide there.  We all jumped onto a steep hill with many trees and we hid behind the trees, but luckily the dogs stopped coming after us soon after we jumped into the gravel pit.  The dogs were fast Dalmatians that would have probably bit us if we didn’t get out of there.

I remember when I was running away from the dogs, I decided to try to hide in a bush first.  But the bush ended up being a thorn bush.  I was pricked all over my body by the sharp thorns.  I thought I was going to get out of the bush easy but my hat got caught in the bush first so I had to reach my arm through the bush as my arm was getting pronged.  Now thinking about it that was a good memory with my friends. 

I still look back on those memories as the building blocks of our relationship to this day.  These memories built our friendship with more trust and a way to connect when we get older.  To this day I would say we have a laugh looking back on how stupid or even how ignorant we were as kids growing up.  Other kids may thought we were weird but as long as I have that one friend I don’t care what other people think of us.  I would say we don’t care about how other people shape us.  In today's world everyone  wants to be cool but our friendship wasn’t built on being cool, it was built on our adventures we had done with each other.  Most people didn’t stay friends with the kids they would play with as a kid but my story is different and i'm glad I had the chance to keep my best friend through thick and thin.  We will never separate this friendship we have because it’s not something that comes around often.

I wanted to write about something with my best friend.