Shreader | Teen Ink

Shreader

By DragonflyMaster PLATINUM, Kernersville, North Carolina
DragonflyMaster PLATINUM, Kernersville, North Carolina

Do not look where you fell, but where you slipped. ~ African Proverb

"He's not dead. My little buddy is not dead." That was my mantra. Shreader was my male veiled chameleon. I noticed he was sickly-looking and not gripping on his branches. My family put him in a tinier tank to try to save him. "I think we lost him" my dad looked me. Shreader was supposed to be his lizard, but Shreader chose me. "HE'S NOT DEAD!" I shout back, not bothering to hide the tears like I usually would. (I hate crying in front of anyone.) Why wasn't my dad crying? Mom was. Didn't he love his own lizard? Shreader looked like he was turning black. Our reptile vet said "If a chameleon turns black, they're usually dead." That couldn't happen to my beloved little buddy. He was supposed to sit with me while I did schoolwork and cuddle by my chin. HE COULDN'T BE DEAD.

Shreader was a pet like no other. He was one of our two veiled chameleons. I never had a reptile, except my mom's beloved red-earred sliders. I didn't want a lizard, but what do you know? My mom gets a chameleon, so my dad gets one. Shreader became dehydrated shortly after we got him. My mom and I worked to get him back to full health. He would let me pick him up and put him back in the Pedialyte soak we gave him every four hours. He bonded to ME.

He became one of my best friends. People didn't like me at school. I had more enemies than friends. I got picked on a lot. That traumatized me and put me through depression and anxieties. My pets were my safe haven. If I belonged anywhere, it was with my pets. They were always there and never left my side. They understood me.

Shreader is one of my pets that will never leave me. He is a true person. If more people were like Shreader, this world would never have a single war.

People say if you love something, let it go. I hate that saying. It is not true. If you believe that, you never loved an animal. You don't want to let go. The thrill ride of loving an animal is a rollercoaster. You have ups and downs. You wish it would never stop. But it does. Death is always breathing down your neck. You try not think of it. When it does happen it hurts worse then thinking of the one day it will happen. It is the fire and you are burning. 

Shreader can't be described with cheesy sayings. In the end, those are just to pacify you and your emotions. I love Shreader. I will always love my little buddy. My sweet chameleon. I will love him forever.

I love you little buddy. I will love you forever. goodbye and thank you for letting me love you.