Terror in a Bookstore | Teen Ink

Terror in a Bookstore

By Whimsical_Bluejay_Of_The_Night BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida
Whimsical_Bluejay_Of_The_Night BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before."
-Edgar Allan Poe

Once again, I'm in Barnes and Noble and about to commence studying for finals because they launch next week.  I'm currently sitting in the familiar and humble little cafe and immersing myself in my fantasy music playlist on my iPod.  It never ceases to awaken my inner spirit and take me to another planet.  This, combined with the lovely aroma of toasty warm coffee, makes for a sense-stimulating environment.  It helps my creativity flow through my writing and I end up reaching a somewhat euphoric trance due to the stimulation of the multiple senses.  It makes my inner spirit smile and puts me in a place of tranquility.  This magnificent spiritual experience at this bookstore today sharply contrasts with my visit the prior week.  I remeber enduring another gruesome panic attack that quickly tightened its peremptory grip on me and stole my mind from reality, and not in the pleasant fashion like the former.  My mind was racing, like complex Celtic music, and simultaneously, a growing crowd of people chattered continuously around me.  It was an internal, mental explosion.  I couldn't pinpoint a single idea or distinguish one single thought from another.  It was agonizing, all of my stresses were attacking me synchronously.  I felt out-of-body, like a spirit watching the world go by in slow motion, suffering in silence.  At this point, I thoroughly believed that it was irrefutable to escape immediately or death would follow suit.  It was as if the devil sat there with his chin up torturing my helpless being, controlling me like a puppet, and watching my misery with an evil smirk.  The physical effects were unbearable: My heart beating furiously, at the tempo of a hummingbird's, the hot, sticky sweat gluing to my skin, the uncontrollable shaking and trembling, the nauseating dizziness, my muscles becoming bricks and feeling immobile, the hyperventilating leading to near unconsciousness, the chest tightening as if an elephant were crushing it...the impending sense of doom.  My entire body ached in a million different ways, proving it exasperating.  On top of it all, I fought courageously to keep silent, due to it being in a public location.  The fierce horror of a panic attack simply cannot be expressed to the fullest extent utilizing the English language.  It fails to do it justice...I strongly believe that one must experience a panic attack themselves before they can truly understand the degree of power one possesses over the mind, body, and soul.   

This is an analytical view of a 100% true story that happened to me.  I really hope that people can connect to these feelings and that it can help them understand an anxiety disorder better, whether it be for themselves, a family member, or for a friend.   

-Edgar Allan Poe

Thank you so much! You are so lovely :)

-Edgar Allan Poe

Thank you so much for your deep analysis of my piece! I definitely see what you're saying here :) I apologize for taking over a month to respond to your well-thought out comment :o

-Edgar Allan Poe

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate hearing your kind words ^_^

on Sep. 23 2015 at 11:46 am
Temperance SILVER, Austin, Texas

"The facts of this world seen clearly, are those seen through tears." -Margaret Atwood

This was a really great piece. Although the beginning had me a little hesitant about the work as a whole, i really enjoyed it by the end. You have great diction, I hope you continue to write more!

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

I really hate that you had to go through a panic attack. I know how terrible they can be, and I wish you the best of luck in overcoming them! I hope those lovely pieces of musical heaven and warm coffee can help you out :) The actual descriptions you made were fairly good, I especially liked the beginning, which was only slightly wordy/passive voice. Just small little things that will develop as you write more, I know I struggled with it for months. Cut unnecessary words, break up sentences, or add different punctuation, Small things, like I said. Still, excellent sensory descriptions, I could really feel what you were describing. Now in the middle till the end, I could feel you were rushing just a little bit. I know what you were trying to do, with the making ti feel fast-paced, and trying to describe a panic attack. The fact that you tried to do this shows a whole lot of potential for this piece, since you obviously have a grasp on tone and how it can affect a literary essay, story, or other written work. However, it seemed rushed rather panicky simply because 1: it was a bit mushed together without many paragraph breaks, 2: it was almost too descriptive diction-wise. Again, these are merely little critiques, and can be taken however you want to use them/throw them out. The only real errors were mechanical, and most of what you wrote was quite exceptional :) I loved reading it, and I did connect with you and your experience quite well. Keep writing, and best of luck! :)

SkippyPeanutbutter SILVER, Utrecht, Other

"Happiness can be found, even at the darkest of times. If one only remembers to turn on the light." -Albus Dumbledore
"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" -the Eleventh Doctor

I also have (fairly regular) panic attacks and it is seriously one of my fears to have them in a public area; unlike you I cannot keep quiet and go absolutely hysterical. You described what it is like so brilliantly! However, I believe this piece can be improved by, like Beila said, focusing on one event and maybe add paragraphs. I found that it was difficult keeping track of where I was when reading, and i think putting in paragraphs will help structure this piece. GOOD JOB! :)

on Jun. 28 2015 at 11:46 am

-Edgar Allan Poe

Thank you very much for the criticism! :)

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

I admire you for writing about this part of your life and this experience, but I think that the format doesn't do it justice. You seem to start by talking about one story, creating a setting with elaborate sensory details, but then you switch to a completely unrelated incident. In doing so, you lose the intensity of both feelings. Instead, I would encourage you to focus on just one moment and really stay in it. That way, the reader more clearly understands the emotional impact and message you want to convey.

on Jun. 19 2015 at 11:13 am
ABIGAIL.S PLATINUM, Trenton, Ohio

"only you can start a change you want"

I fully relate because I have an anxiety disorder and it really does feel like your mind controls your body.