The Two Donkeys | Teen Ink

The Two Donkeys

May 24, 2015
By AliciaMarzolf DIAMOND, Cupertino, California
AliciaMarzolf DIAMOND, Cupertino, California
97 articles 0 photos 1 comment

They stood pressed against each other as if they were one, their jellybean-shaped bodies merging into a single being. Their patchy hair was the hue of arena sand under a cloudy sky, offset only by the mocha-brown shading on their muzzles. Their tails were nothing but ragged strings of an overused washcloth: scraggly and short.


A car horn blared down the street, and they flicked their jackrabbit ears at exactly the same moment. Once the sound ceased, I clucked to them. “Donkeys, c’mere!” My lips pursed as I kissed to them, petitioning them to look my way.


No response.


Frustrated, I slipped through the poles of the silver fencing and scuffed through the stale dirt until I was about ten feet away. I continued calling and clucking as I crouched down, my eyes level with theirs. Already I felt the glare of the sun on my neck.


A hoof shifts.


Startled, I glance upwards. One of the donkeys has pivoted her right front hoof so it points in my direction. The left front follows. I kiss as loud as I can and trill, “Donkey, come to me!”


An ear flicks in my direction.


I tap my tongue against my teeth and wait. The second donkey hasn’t even looked in my direction, so I shuffle closer. She finally turns her head to meet my eyes, but the first donkey hasn’t budged since her front hoofs shifted.
One step.


I stand up and face my back to them. Sometimes an animal, especially those of the equine family, is intrigued by a turned back. Closing my eyes as I continue to cluck, I extend my palm in back of me and wait. My throat is parched, and I swallow uncomfortably.


Two steps.


Although the dirt is soft, I can hear hoofsteps atop it. Eight hoofs are slowly, slowly, approaching me from behind. I splay my fingers and hope.


A soft muzzle.


My hand instinctively cups around the velvety warmth of the first donkey’s muzzle. She lets my rub her poll as I extend my hand to the second donkey. She is more hesitant, but eventually presses her muzzle into my fingertips. I scratch the side of her neck. I feel their heat through my palms as I breathe in.


They stood pressed against me as if we were one, their jellybean-shaped bodies merging with mine into a single being.