One More Pothole | Teen Ink

One More Pothole

By HeartAfterYou SILVER, West Valley, New York
HeartAfterYou SILVER, West Valley, New York

You looked at me and knew I wasn’t perfect—you were okay with that. Now you look at me and only see imperfections.
“Fake.” That’s all you had to say.

I once was the person you came to when something new happened in your life. Knowing all, or most of your secrets I began to fall in love with your heart—not in the romantic way, but as a friend. If I had a problem, I told you. You’d listen as I vented and as I sulked in self-pity but shortly after, I’d be back to normal and we would laugh once again.

“Fake.” That’s the word that changed my outlook on things. Am I really fake? You were the one to know most everything that happened in my life. If you said I was fake, I must be.

Remember that time, when we had our first class together? The first week of school you started making fun of me, not to be mean but to show me that I was noticed. I’d sit down in the front row, and you right behind me of course you thought it was necessary to kick my chair. Our friendship grew after that. It’s so silly, but I’ll take it.
“Fake.” That’s not what I wanted to be.

We’ve been through our bumps in the road. Going from best friends to acquaintances in a matter of months was a big pothole in the road. Somehow though, we maintained to get over it. Later we learned neither of us said everything we meant; sometimes we weren’t always good with words.

“Fake.” Was this an example of poor word choice, or did you truly feel this way?

Okay, so remember when I didn’t trust you? I had false judgment and almost ruined our friendship. I don’t even know what I was thinking. You had protected me and been honest with me, I had no reason to lack confidence in you. When I wrote you an apology letter, I was terrified to give it to you. Not knowing how you’d respond you gave me a hug after reading it; confirmation that we’d just crossed that bump in the road. It left damage to our friendship but we overcame it.

“Fake.” You’d never claimed this before. Maybe this thought had been dancing around in your head for a while, or maybe it was a new idea? If this is like our past, we’ll overcome this pothole.