The Best Wedding Ever | Teen Ink

The Best Wedding Ever

By Lupe2001 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Lupe2001 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

On August 2, 2014, I woke up thinking, "Wow, my sister is getting married today!" I couldn't believe that the day I was waiting for was finally happening. The excitement was building up inside me and I couldn’t hold it in. "KARI! Ana's getting married today!" I yelled as I ran into my sister, Kari's room. " I know this is so exciting!" She yelled.

As we walked down stairs, we found my sister, Ana, getting her hair done by Oscar's,  her fiancé, cousin. "Hey Ana. Aren't you excited little sis?" I asked with my sweet little girl voice. "Well to be honest guys, I'm a bit nervous." Ana said with a worried look on her face. "What is there to be nervous about sis?" Kari asked. "Well I have to talk in front of most of the people in town and if I couldn't even talk in front of a class of 24 students in middle school, how am I going to do it now?" Ana said. "Just pretend that it's only you and him." My mom suggested. "That's even worse. I'll just start laughing." Ana replied. "Don't worry.  All you have to do is look pretty and smile." I said as I tried to cheer her up. Everyone laughed and my brother, Diego, came down the stairs, "Man your laugh can wake a whole building up," he told Kari. We all laughed again. "Well we better hurry, the mass starts at 1 o'clock." My mom said.

After everyone took a shower, the house was upside down. Everyone was just screaming things like, "Where are my pants? Where are my shoes? I'm missing my sweater! Should I go with black or red? My pants are missing!" We were all going crazy trying to find our clothes and get beauty advice. As we were all going crazy, the first bell rang. "Well there is the first calling, which means we only have a couple more minutes to get ready and go to the church." My mom informed everyone. "I'm sure we'll get there on time mom." Diego assured my mom. We still rushed to get ready anyway.

By the second calling, we were all dressed and ready to go, except for the bride. "Is she ready?" my uncle asked. He and my aunt were going to take her to the church. "Not yet. She still needs to put her dress on" I told him. At that moment she came out of the room and she looked beautiful. "My oldest sister is getting married today." That was the only thing I can think of when I saw her in that dress.
My thinking was interrupted by the third calling. "Well I guess that means we got to go. The bride had to be late but not that late." my aunt said. Diego, Kari, and I walked Ana out to the car and carefully made sure none of her dress was hanging out of the car. My aunt and uncle left with Ana, as we were closing the door of the house and getting on the car.
When we got to the church, the mass had already began. We quickly walked to our seats and my mom went up to the altar to sit next my uncle. I was left with Ana's official bouquet.
As I sat there listening to the priest speak, I began to think,"Wow Ana is a lucky girl. She found a guy, who was able to move past the fact that she was blind. He loved her for her personality, and didn't worry about her not being able to see. I know he's going to make her extremely happy and no one's going to mess with their happiness." I knew that Oscar was an outstanding guy and he was prefect for Ana. I kept thinking of how proud I was of Ana because I knew that she had been through a lot and she was able to move past that and find an amazing guy.

When Ana and Oscar began to say their vows, I heard how Ana's voice was really quiet and shaky. I could tell that she was very nervous. You barely heard what she was saying but everyone knew she was saying yes.
Half way through the mass, my aunt told me to take Ana's official bouquet up to her. I really didn't know what I was doing so I waited on the side for a little bit, until I finally had the guts to go up to her and hand her the bouquet. I quickly walked back to my seat.

After that the priest said,"What God has brought together,  let not the human separate it." Everyone clapped and cheered. "Well Ana finally married," I whispered to Kari. She smiled and continued cheering.

After the mass, we took pictures with Ana and Oscar. Once we were done, we walked out and everyone was throwing rose petals up in the air as the new married couple walked out of the church. Everyone began to hug them and congratulate them. We were the last ones. I hugged Ana tightly and I reminded her of how much I loved her and that she would always be an inspiration to me.

We got in the car and Oscar's brother, Fernando, who we usually call Frentes, quickly drove us to the banquet were the party was going to take place.

When we walked in, there were almost no seats available, only my mom had her seat saved because she was the mom of the bride. Luckily we found 4 seats next to some of our cousins, one for me, one for Kari, one for Diego,  and one for my cousin, Bryant.

We sat down and waited for the bride and groom to walk in. They finally got there and walked in. Once again everyone began cheering and clapping.

We ate carnitas, beans, and rice. We sat and talked for a while until el vals began. We all went up with someone to dance with Ana and Oscar. I went up with Diego. As I was dancing with Oscar I told him, "Congratulations. I hope you two become extremely happy." "Thank you. And I promise that I will do anything I can to make Ana happy," he assured me. His cousin came and me and Diego walked off the dance floor.
The rest of the party was very exciting. I danced all types of music like bachata, duranguense, norteñas,  and cumbia. I also talked to some of my cousins who I hadn't talked to in a while. That wedding is one of the best memories I will always cherish.

I was inspired to write this memoir because I wanted to share my expierence in the wedding of my oldest sister.