Makeup | Teen Ink

Makeup

March 25, 2015
By Anonymous

As a child, I was constantly getting into my mom’s makeup drawer and giving makeovers to my friends and mostly myself.  My tenth birthday party was actually a “makeover” theme.  I invited all my friends over and while my mom did our makeup, her friend did our hair, and my sister did our nails.  I’ve had a love for makeup since before I can even remember; however, a couple of years ago, I really became obsessed. 


My favorite makeup store is Sephora, I could literally spend days in there just looking around and testing new products on the back of my hand.  Sephora is like candy land but instead of lollipops and gumdrops there are glitters, sparkles, eyeliners, blushes, and the glossiest lip-glosses.  I could easily spend an entire paycheck on makeup in less than twenty minutes.  It’s an expensive addiction but hey, at least I’m not doing drugs.  My mom is always telling me to stop spending money on makeup but what’s the real point of having money if you’re not going to spend it?  I mostly go for the name brand products because I like to feel fancy.  I could name probably around thirty makeup brands off the top of my head right now.  It’s hard to pick a favorite but I would say the majority of my makeup collection belongs to Urban Decay; although, Mac is a very close runner up. 


My favorite part about makeup is that I can create whatever I want.  Makeup artists are just that, artists, and if I am an artist, my face is the canvas.  I have the ability to transform my face and that may be scary to some people, but I think it’s awesome.  A lot of people don’t understand that makeup is an art.  I put effort and time into creating looks, matching colors, and putting it all together.  It’s not that I feel uncomfortable in my own skin or I that I want to hide something, it’s that I am expressing myself while doing what that I love.  People are so quick to judge a girl with a face full of makeup and that makes me sad because if an artist came up to you and showed you a book full of paintings would you tell them they are wasting their time, or the hobby that they love is a waste of money?  I love makeup artists and makeup geeks like me because not everyone can see art in all the forms that we can.