A Better Place | Teen Ink

A Better Place

By Grace Yau BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
Grace Yau BRONZE, Solon, Ohio

It was an early Saturday morning and I was on my way to an orchestra audition. My dad was driving his worn silver Chrysler minivan while I sat in the back with my eyes closed, trying to focus on my breathing. I had to mentally calm the ferocious beating from my nervous heart. For a moment, I looked outside the window and saw a long line of cars lined up on the side of the highway and the people were all running north with urgency written all over their faces. I was puzzled; I wondered if it was for some special event. A few yards down, it became clear that a car had swerved into a ditch. I couldn’t help but smile; all these cars lined up to help a total stranger. It made me realize that there a light of hope shining in this damaged world we try to survive in everyday. Yet, part of me felt regretful; I have no doubt that there have been many opportunities to make someone else feel what I felt-that light of hope. Ever since, I have been inspired to take every chance I get to make the dark and twisted world we live in and turn it into a place where strangers will greet each other like family.