July 3rd | Teen Ink

July 3rd

By GabeAwesomepants BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
GabeAwesomepants BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida

"Im cool"
- Me

Our story begins as our protagonist, me, retells what he experienced on the day of July 3rd, 2014…

It was July the 3rd, 2014, a day that most people look back on as any other Thursday. But not me.  That was the last day the group and I ever got to do something awesome together.
Who was the group you ask? Well, we were only the coolest group of friends to ever exist. There was Collin Freeman, Shaun Ericson, Ethan Hines, Nate DeCarlo, and of course, me. The five of us had been friends for as long as I could remember. We were always there for each other, and there was nothing awesome we wouldn’t do together. But nothing good lasts forever. My family had to move on July 7th because my dad had been stationed to a faraway base in Florida, (he works for the military). On the sixth of July our house had to go through some inspection so that our landlord knew we weren’t going to leave their place trashed, and on the fourth and fifth we would be packing our stuff and loading it onto a truck. So the third was my only free day. Luckily for me that was the day that RAF Feltwell held there extremely popular pre-4th of July celebration.           
I woke up that morning stiff as a board from sleeping on the world’s most uncomfortable air mattress; all our furniture had already been placed into boxes. I went through the usual morning routine of eating breakfast, brushing my teeth and combing my hair up into it’s distinct hairstyle- and flip in the front and a wavy-look in the back. I put on my favorite neon blue hoodie, converse, jeans, and ray ban aviators and I was ready for the fair.
At approximately 2:27 the group showed up at my door and Collin’s older brother drove us to Feltwell. We arrived there around three and the fair looked AMAZING. There were rides everywhere, plus numerous amounts of food stands and carnival games. The group and I spent the first few hours being awesome as usual, but it wasn’t until five-o-clock when things got really exciting. The most beautiful girl from school, who I’ll call “strawberry”, showed up at the fair. I had liked her for years, but having to move meant I would probably never see her again. Nonetheless, I tried my best to impress her. She came over to our group and we talked for a little while, man was she pretty! But like I said, nothing good last forever. About twenty minutes later a guy I’ll call “Bob” showed up. Bob was one of those guys at school who was a jerk to everyone but somehow was in the popular group. He had liked Strawberry too, but he was more open about it. I was always too scared to tell her I liked her, which I regret more than anything. He tried flirting with her and she got pretty annoyed, but he wouldn’t leave when she told him to. I figured whatever I did wouldn’t matter since I was moving in less than a week so I did something brave, something you could never get me to do again for as long as I live, or until I meet the right girl again. I told Bob to leave, said he was a jerk and nobody actually liked him. Well, that made Bob really angry, and he began what I like to call “The Great Trash-Talk war of 2014”. He gave our group every insult you could think of.
That made the group super angry and they started a fight with Bob. I know that probably wasn’t the morally correct thing to do, but hey, he deserved it. Afterwards he left and the group went to go take a seat on a nearby bench. Then it was just Strawberry and I. I think she said something along the lines of “You sticking up for me was very heroic”, but I was too dazed to hear from the adrenaline of the trash talk and the fact that Strawberry was actually impressed by me. We spent the rest of the day together, riding rides, getting food, and all that other cool stuff you do at carnivals. 
And finally at 11:30, Strawberry, the group and I went into a nearby field to watch the fireworks. It was a perfect view of the sky, and you have no idea how glad I felt being able to sit there with my crush at my side and my bros in front of me. At twelve the fireworks went off and I remember getting this strange feeling. I don’t know if you’ve ever had to move before, but it’s not easy. I sat there and had this feeling, this rush of excitement and nervousness, kind of like how you feel when the teacher calls your name and you have to give a presentation to give in front of the class. I remembered all the great times the group and I had together, and how even in the worst of times we stuck together. I was really going to miss them.
After the show ended we got up, said our goodbyes, and each of us went home with our parents. And that was it. I haven’t seen any of them since. I do miss them, and I can’t go a day without thinking about how awesome we were. Perhaps one day will meet up again. And believe me I am totally ready for that day to come.

So that’s it. That’s my story.

Made this for school, not my best work.