The First Days | Teen Ink

The First Days

December 14, 2014
By Daniel Bornemann BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
Daniel Bornemann BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     My first days at my high school were some of the best days in my secondary school career. They were filled with some of my fondest memories of many of the friends I have to this day. It all started about two or three weeks before school started.

     One of my old friends at elementary school, Catherine, was throwing a party for new people that were going to the secondary school in the area. My mom was friends Catherine’s mom, so when my mom drove me to the house, she stayed to talk to her. I knew a few of the people there, but the majority I did not recognize and did not know. All of my friends were watching football in the main room where the party was, but I do not care much for sports, so I did not stay with them. The other kids were just eating snacks and talking, so I joined them. The problem with them, though, was that they were talking about their elementary schools, and I did not go to the ones they were talking about. I ended up just sitting near my mom and eating my food.
     Later that night, my friends stopped watching football and decided to go into the pool. I was happy and decided I would join them, so I put on my swimming trunks and went into the pool. My friends were playing basketball in the pool, because there were two hoops at both ends of the pool. I joined in for about a half hour before becoming bored, due to nobody passing the ball to me. I ended up taking the ball when it got near me, screaming “Pool Pedestrian,” and then throwing the ball to the nearest hoop.
     After about an hour of that, I met a kid that was named Phi, and he joined me in being a Pool Pedestrian. A few minutes later, another boy named Dominick joined us. We had a great time being Pool Pedestrians, and became good friends in those hours. When it was about 10:00, most of the people had already left, and I was getting tired, so my mom decided we would drive home.
     After about a week, band camp was starting, and I was excited to play saxophone. (My mom already had one from her high school years.) I was already somewhat decent at it due to my mom teaching me a few notes and rhythms. When I arrived at band camp, however, the band director, Mrs. Allen, wanted everyone to try every instrument available except for saxophone. This was only for the first few days, and since she only wanted a few saxes, only one or two of the clarinets would be able to be a sax and me, because I was already experienced. I met a few people I knew there, like Rhys from elementary, Phi, and Dominick. I also met two other future friends, Avery and Rohan. The first week was pretty boring due to nobody knowing or having their instruments.
     The second week, however, was much better. Everybody had their instruments. The problem was that I was already experienced in playing my instrument and the only sax. I ended up being forced outside with another older kid that played saxophone, and we went at a faster pace than everyone else. Since band camp was only two weeks, we played from 9:00 till 12:00 every day excluding weekends.
     The last day of band camp started as usual with everyone learning with their groups, then the lunch break. During the last half hour, we called it a day. Mrs. Allen let us talk with each other during that time. That is where I really met Avery and Rohan. We talked about what games we liked and our old schools, and when it was time to go, we all said our goodbyes.
     The first day of school was a very stressful and confusing day for me. I went to my first period class, and found that Avery and I had most of our classes together, except that he had French when I had math, and I had Spanish when he had math. We went around school together the whole day and at lunch and band we sat with Rohan, Phi, Dominick, and Rhys. This was how it went for the first few days.
     In the end, the first few days were in fact, the best days. I can still remember them as if they were yesterday. Confused as I was those days, I still knew that it would be a transition into a new school that I would remember forever.