So Close | Teen Ink

So Close

I was really sick, couldn't breathe. I was allergic to my mom’s milk. My parents didn't bring me home until 2 weeks after I was born. A month later after being home, I was rushed to the hospital because I stopped breathing I was turning blue. My mom was crying and freaking out she couldn't stay focused and was screaming and pacing around the house. I was put on a crib bed thing and was rolled down a silent dark cold hallway to a little kid’s room. The doctor had a concerned look on his face while looking at my mom and explained “We are going to be running many tests on her. We will run a MRI, X rays, we will check her heart.”
Two hours later the doctor came in with me in his arms. I had tubes, needles in me and wires stuck on me that we're tracking my heart beats. My mom looked at me and thought that I was going to be made fun of when I was older if it was something that I would have to live with my whole life. The doctor handed me to my mom sighed and replied in an upset voice.
“Mrs. Miller I’m very sorry but your daughter is a failure to thrive. She has a very low chance of living and only has about a month to live.” The doctor explained.
         “WHAT!!!!!!!” My mom screamed as she busted into tears holding me tightly in her arms and kissed and she put her forehead against mine and cried harder.
“I love you”
After five days of being in the hospital, my mom started screaming bloody murder for the doctor.
         “SHE’S NOT BREATHING!”
         “Calm down Mrs. Miller we will put a breathing tube in her but we can’t promise it will work”
“She will also get sick really easily and will be hard for her to fight off illnesses.” As the doctor was talking to her trying to calm down, so she wouldn't be as upset. From here on out my mom always tells me to love the important things in life you never know when you could lose them or be super close to losing it. Even though I have heard this many times before it’s still as fragile as glass.
I will always remember that because I had almost someone important to me. It was my mom’s mom so my grandma. She had really bad breast cancer, and I found this out when I walked into my house and saw my mom in tears. I thought to myself, “This can't be good something happened and I need to know now” I walked over to my mom who was sitting in a cold leather chair. I hugged her. Tears started rolling down my face.
         “Mom….what is wrong?” I questioned her
         “My…..My mom…. my mom is sick……”
         “SICK? What do you mean she is sick? If she was sick you wouldn't be crying”
         “She has cancer.”
         “WHAT!!!!!!!!!”
         “Yes she has breast cancer.”
         “Will she be ok?”
         “We hope”
         Time was passing by chemo after chemo. She started getting really sick and had to stay in the hospital. She was getting sick from having so much chemo. After a couple of months, she couldn't get chemo for a while because it was making her so ill. I went and visited her.
         “Are you going to live?”
         “Honey I am doing all I can to stay alive”
         I run out of the room crying my eyes out thinking to myself “Why does she look like that? What is going to happen? Why is she not eating? Will she be able to live by herself again?”  I was upset and I ran to my mom.
         “What's wrong Lilly?”
         “I can't lose grandma I can't at all I will never be able to deal with it she’s important to me and I can't lose her”
         “None of us can deal with losing her she is a very great person.”
         The doctor walks in with my grandma right next to him .A balloon was on her bed and she had flowers.
         “She is a survivor!” he yelled walking away.
         I looked down at the floor and started crying of joy and thought to myself again “I almost lost the most important thing in my life.” This has changed me because I have to do things by myself because I am a middle child, and I have a hard time finding my character in me. But my grandma helps me find it when I feel left out of the family. So I have changed to help people who need it no matter if you don’t like them because you never know if they are going through the same thing as being a middle child or they lost something close to them that has not put a good influence on them.

It was for class. But it means a lot to me and i really had to think if i wanted to write about it.