Personal Narrative | Teen Ink

Personal Narrative

October 20, 2014
By Gabriel Doddoli BRONZE, Monterrey, Other
Gabriel Doddoli BRONZE, Monterrey, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I was on the way to the  big red city supermarket that was located next to a taco station that smelled like cooking chicken. I was in the front seat, it was night and it was dark as a turned off telephone. We were just normal, all my sisters and my brother in the car,  My brother and sisters are very different from each other, my sisters always were the ones that wanted to play and have something to do, but something like sports that was why they are in gymnastics class. And my brother well he always wanted to be the old man in the house and be like my dad always putting rules to everyone and caring for all the family to do safe things. We were all excited to go to the supermarkets if they would go shopping to a mall. At the car we were listening to music and singing. In the car there was nothing to look into like some curious object that I could touch or explore and learn about it. So we were done with the super shopping, I was surprised of all the things that they have bought and that I could explore and learn about them. For example there was some purple soap that I could smell and touch and it would feel cool or a pink tooth paste that I could taste and eat. I loved trying new things and that was because I was so curious. Suddenly I see some little black thing that I didn’t know about and I was about to touch it.

 

I saw the black lighter and then thought in my mind full of blank spaces because I didn’t know almost anything. I told myself is this right or wrong, I didn’t think it through a lot so I touched the black thing. The moment I touched it I felt like getting your finger chopped of. I didn’t even feel my finger in that moment I just imagined how would’ve been if I just asked for the first time what was that or what does it do? The only thing I thought of was the smell, it smelled like meat in the grill, I was so scared when I looked at my finger I saw the car lighter had branded my finger like a cow. I felt a lot of pain in my finger and felt that I should’ve asked first and next time I would always ask.  The second I saw my mom walking into the car I  thought I was so done, but still, my mom’s brown eyes with orange mixed with brown hair made her look nice and as if she was not going to do anything bad to me and she was just going to help me. “Mom, bring me some ice please!!!!” I screamed as if I was getting  whipped in my back. When my mom saw my finger she screamed and went for some ice as fast as she could, even doe she tried to run like flash she just couldn’t. I waited 5 minutes with a despicable pain. “I am just so dumb,” I thought.  I should’ve never touched that lighter. My mom came and got me the ice, I placed it on my finger and it still felt painful but not so much. “Gabriel, why did you touch that lighter?” I stayed quiet.


“Because he is dumb,” my big brother said.


 “Stop I am not dumb I just wanted to know what was it,” I exclaimed. After what I said I stayed seating in my seat quietly.  I felt like if I was the bad kid in my family and like if I had made the biggest mistake in all my life. My brother was right because I should’ve left the curiosity and be a smart kid instead of a bad kid.

When we got to my house I went to her room. “Gabriel, you know that we have to be responsible about the things we do and you were not responsible so next time please ask or maybe me conscious about the things you will touch.”


       “I know mom sorry, I promise I will not do it again.”   I learned that I should always asked questions if I don’t know something. Even if it doesn’t look that dangerous. My mom was right, I always need to ask questions before doing something that I don’t know what it is. After what she told me I felt so, so dumb and told myself I would never be that curios again because bad things can happen.  I was in my room, drinking lemonade thinking about the pain and not resisting it.  I thought and thought what would happen if I had just asked a question and how I would be just with my normal finger and with no pain. I learned that I should always asked questions if I don’t know something.


“Gabriel are you ok?” my dad said with a voice that sounded as neat as a trophy.  My dad was always there to help me when I needed  him, he was just the missing piece of the puzzle that my family needed.


“Yes, but its just that I feel like a dumb kid that doesn’t know anything about nothing and that always fails,” I cried with a shaky voice. Suddenly I started crying. “I’m so dumb dad. I’m sorry of being so dumb.” I said with the saddest voice in the world.


“No your not dumb, you just have to ask questions if you don’t know something and life will be so much easy.” My father said. When I finished talking with my dad I went to sleep.


The next day I kept thinking about my finger because it kept hurting. I realized I was so dumb of touching something like fire. I felt the pain and thought about next time being a little bit more smarter and promised myself that I would ask questions.

 

From that day on I learned to ask questions and try the new thing by knowing what it is.  I have discovered that asking questions always brings you good things including preparedness. The boy I was back then being curious is now gone inside me, I don’t have a part of the boy I was back then because I have learned that being curious is almost always bad. In the other hand being curios does help you with some kind of things like discovering and learning new things but when that comes to being dangerous it is better to ask questions.