My Fears | Teen Ink

My Fears

October 20, 2014
By Bacon116 BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Bacon116 BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Fear can conquer many abilities like how to run.  Your knees can lock up, and your mind freaks out.  Fear is a distressing emotion aroused by danger.  There are many times in which I had encountered fear.  For example when I was 7, I had a fear of lightning strikes.   On my case, since I was little I have had Acrophobia, which is the fear of heights.
It was the early cold spring of 2014 when I had my biggest fear to face.  It was a Beautiful  semi-cold day during our ropes course.  We had just finished our last low leveled ropes course and were heading back to the cabin to eat.  It had finished raining at the time, and my friends and I were enjoying a nice lunch.  I had know that there was going to be a high ropes course later in the day for my group.  But, I ignored it because I wanted to block my fear out of my mind.
Then it was time.  In part of the left mind was racing words like: “Lets do this!”  However in the other part was begging me not to go to the place.  Like normal I went with the left part.  It was time for me to get a harness and helmet on.  Then when secured I went up.  I started to climb the staples on tree.  I looked down.  my senses were coming over me yelling at me “why did you have to be one of the first to go up.”  I kept ignoring my thoughts in the mind as I climbed faster up the staples to the top of them.  then i was transitioning to the steel cable.  I got up and positioned my self to grab the braided rope.  Then thats when I had to do the one thing a person like me can not do when one heights.  Look down.  Why did I have to look down!   I felt like banging my head against the tree several times as my knees started quaking.  My heart pumped furiously as my phobia took realization in seconds of looking.  “No.  i can't stop” my mind yelled at my quivering body, telling it to keep going to the drop point.  Eventually, after 3 minutes I made it to the drop point.  Eager to get down, I almost leaded the wrong way and almost clipped my hand and arms.  I was finally dropped down slowly from the belay team as I still quivered in the still air.  But my body had did it.  I had gotten down without any accidents or injuries.  And I was one step closer to solving my fear.