Slice Of Life | Teen Ink

Slice Of Life

By Ella Wehrlen BRONZE, Evergreen, Colorado
Ella Wehrlen BRONZE, Evergreen, Colorado

Hammock

I heard nothing, nothing of course but the soft sound of crickets humming in the distance.  The sound that sounds so perfect, it feels fake.  Like the book i would read when i was little.  The Little Cricket.  Every time I would open the book it would start chirping, chirping the crickets noise.  A noise that sounded as though it was a mix of audio effects, and real crickets.  I waited and listened.  I was hoping, hoping, hoping to stay awake until scarlet sunset slowly rose above my head.  The sunset that so many people have talked about, the sunset I was excited for since I heard of it.  I anxiously waited for the sunset to rize.  Sadly however, I never got to see it.  I fell asleep long before the sun arose.  I was happy however, because while waiting on that dusty, hammock in oklahoma, I saw many wonders.  Wonders that would only appear to those who wait, and stay still, and listen.  Wonders like the bull frog that courageously hopped over the dirt road, and happily croaked when he reach the other side.  Or a small mouse that slowly walks along the dusty trail that smelled of smoke and was a common place for others, to throw their cigarettes .  While waiting I even saw a hawk.  A hawk that flew like an eagle, and for a short time tricked me into thinking it was one. A hawk that flew for a short time and perched itself on the tree my hammock was connected to.  And at the dead of night when my eyes refused to stay open, I heard a symphony of croaks and squeaks.

“Do it,” the mouse would say as the frog tryed to jump on the hammock i was on.

“ I’m trying,” the frog croaked

“Lets go” they said as I began poking them with a stick.

Yes while waiting for a treasure chest  that was not to be found, I found much more gold than could ever be in that chest.