The Village Covered in Snow | Teen Ink

The Village Covered in Snow

By EJCauthor BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
EJCauthor BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

About two miles from my house is a village. The village is at Bethany. It’s called Bethany Village. One day, there was a snowstorm, and two days later my friends and I decided to meet there and hang out in the hood. That might be literal, because we all had our hoods on. It was still partially snowing.

But before I start on that story, I have to tell this story first. Actually, it’s not even really a story. I just have to introduce my friends. I won’t say the names of my friends, because if I did, their feelings might get hurt. So I’ll just make up names for them. All my friends are Asian. Alex is a quiet guy with glasses. George is another guy, but he’s skinny and doesn’t have glasses. He’s pretty talkative. Isaac is another guy again. He’s skinny and has glasses and is kind of weird. Heather is a girl that’s kind of quiet and has sort of long hair. Jennifer is another girl that has longer hair than Heather and is sort of quiet. Lastly, Jason is a guy who is tall and has glasses. He’s also a little quiet.

Now we can get back to the real story. We met at Walgreens, because George had told us to. For some reason, we went into the parking lot and started running around. Not that there were cars around. No cars were driving around; only the ones with crazy people inside. One truck that was parked in the parking lot had a bunch of icicles on its bumper, and from what I learned in the movie Attack on Precinct 13 starring Ethan Hawke and Laurence Fishburne, you can stab a person in the eye with an icicle and kill them. That’s what happened in the movie. Ethan Hawke was trapped because a guy was on top of him and about to kill him, but since they were near a bus, Ethan broke an icicle off the bus and stabbed the guy in the eye. It was really cool, and kind of like Divergent, where Peter stabbed Edward’s eye with a butter knife.

After Alex tried to hit George with a snowball, and George ducked so that the ball hit me hard on the cheek, we all went to the QFC Starbucks. Isaac and I bought coffee, but the line was really long and my other friends kept waiting impatiently. After buying coffee (we both bought a latte), George started walking in the direction of Walgreens. We asked him where he was going, and he said he didn’t know, so he walked back to QFC. We asked him why we were going back to QFC, and he said he didn’t know and walked back to Walgreens. This went on for a while until he finally decided to go to Subway. At Subway, we didn’t order anything. We just sat in one of the booths, talking, until a grumpy old Asian woman came over and told us that Subway “was not a park”. She kicked us out, so outside we hung out in the doorway because technically we weren’t in Subway. We stood there and discussed where to go until George suggests that we go to Taco Bell. At Taco Bell, he ordered a whole lunch meal, consisting of 11 small tacos. At least, I think it was 11. George made us all eat at least one taco. The taco was decent, but George didn’t make the girls eat a taco. He is sexist.

After eating the tacos, we went into a different parking lot. I did a little parkour over some railings. I also threw some snowballs up, and Alex tried to hit the snow that I threw in midair. It was hard for him. Not that I could do any better. I would’ve missed every time. We saw another one of our friends, Jason, walking up to his friend’s house. As soon as he said “hi”, we did the most reasonable thing anybody would do if they saw somebody walking past in the snow: throw snowballs. He threw some snowballs back, and eventually we started picking up huge piles of snow from the ground and hurling them back. It was really fun.

After a while, I had to go home for lunch, even though I had already eaten the tacos. And so I left the village, the village still covered in snow, the village that was about two miles away from my house, the village at Bethany. The one called Bethany Village.

This is a memoir that I wrote.