The Best Surprise | Teen Ink

The Best Surprise

By Joboe13 BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Joboe13 BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Mahatma Gandhi

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEE- I slammed the snooze button on my alarm clock. I groggily sat up and read the time on the digital clock: 1:42 AM. I lazily dragged myself out of bed and gathered up my stuff. I then leisurely ambled out the door and climbed into our large family’s immense white van.
As I sat patiently waiting for my family, I futilely attempted to fall back asleep. I could taste the sleepiness in my mouth. I heard the crickets chirping outside, and it sounded like a beautiful chorus lulling me to sleep. I looked out the window and all I could see under the dull streetlights was empty pavement. The silent, deserted road sounded like a ghost town in the dead of night.
It was beginning to get kind of hot and stuffy in the spacious van, so I opened a window and immediately felt the refreshing sensation of a cool breeze on my face. I breathed in the night air, and it smelled fresh and clean. I stuck my hand out the window and it felt as cold as ice. I sat back down in my seat and quickly glanced around the van- still empty. Where is everybody? I thought.
After a while, my siblings began to noisily clamber through the massive vehicle (I was smart and sat in the back so I would not get trampled by the stampede of family members). I heard sleepy groans and grumpy arguments over who sat where. I quietly sat in my seat and blankly stared out the window, dreading the lengthy drive to Orlando.

At last, everyone was settled in the van and we were ready to go. The strong odor of gasoline blew in through the window as the cacophonous sound of the car starting and the loud crunch of gravel indicated that we were pulling out of the driveway and into the street.
I cuddled up in my blanket and felt enveloped in its warmth as I touched its smooth, fuzzy texture. The air smelled of several drowsy people. I tried again to fall asleep- and I almost did- until suddenly we stopped. I opened my eyes, and it took me a few seconds to realize where we were. But before I could even think about it, my older sister announced that we were at the airport and that we were flying!!!!!!

At first I thought she was joking, because it seemed impossible that my parents could afford 14 round-trip tickets from Boston, Massachusetts to Orlando, Florida, especially in addition to the tickets to Disney World. But as my family began the process of unpacking the van, my doubtful mind finally realized that we were going on an airplane! Then I went into shock- I couldn't believe that my parents had kept this secret for so long. This whole time we thought we were driving!

I finally got out of the van to join my waiting family, and I took a deep breath of the cool night air. For an instant I was happier and more excited than I could ever remember being. I savored that moment, wishing with all my heart that it could last forever.