Do What You Love To Do | Teen Ink

Do What You Love To Do

By JasonG SILVER, Lambertville, Michigan
JasonG SILVER, Lambertville, Michigan

"It's not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln

There are things you like, things you love and then there are those things that you can not picture yourself living without. I mean we all have one of those “things” right? I guess you could call it a passion. For my particular case, I would refer to it as a lifestyle or mindset.

You wake up on a Saturday morning; early, right about the time when you look out your window and the sky is giving off that faint candle-light glow. You are just in time to see the ghostly morning fog rise up back into infinity. You make your morning coffee, put a piece of toast in the toaster, wash up and put on your uniform. You’re suitin’ up but what for; It’s Saturday? You suit up so you can be the first one on the course, you can have that first tee time. So you can be just in time to sniff the smell of freshly cut grass wafting through the air as the grounds crew drives their monster mowers back into the maintenance sheds. You grab your bag, head to the range, stretch out, and hack away at a few balls trying to perfect that swing that will help you hit a low score. Its time to tee off, the first shot is the one that will define your whole round; if you hit it straight, you’ll be straight all day, spray it right or left, God bless your soul, but if you pound it through the fairway your round is gonna be gold. Once you perfect that first tee shot, you can be like Tiger Woods. I come from a legacy of golfers; my father golfs, my mother golfs, my sister golfs and my brother does too. Every spring, once it is just warm enough to play, I get out there and grind, perfecting my passion. Always working on my game because with golf you can never be the best, the game is so complex that you can fix “everything” and yet you still haven’t fixed it all. I constantly feel the greens and fairways calling my name, challenging me. Being a golfer and always feeling the need to improve is the way I live my life, always trying to improve in all ways; spiritually, mentally, physically, socially, just to be the best person I can be. Playing golf sets me free. Let your passion set you free.