Finding True Love | Teen Ink

Finding True Love

By Mahimaangelin SILVER, Ernakulam, Kerala, Other
Mahimaangelin SILVER, Ernakulam, Kerala, Other

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt within the hearts.-Helen Keller

Walking with your lover cuddled together under the umbrella early in the morning through the wet streets, what could be more romantic on your 21’st birthday?

I was surprised when he extended his hands out to me wishing, ”Happy Birthday’. Hmm so he was acting as if he had forgotten my special day until now. He was like that, so full of surprises. We were walking back from the shop where I used to buy milk every morning. Suddenly he grabbed my arms and pulled me into the verandah of a shop, small enough to support just two people. He took out a cute white wrist watch. “It’s my mum’s gift for you”, he said as he fastened it around my cold wrist. Before I was even awake from the surprise of this beautiful gift, he took out a heart shaped box for me to open. There in it was a beautiful pendant tied to a chain. I don’t know how much I admired it but it was not yet over. He pushed into my hands a stunningly beautiful fountain pen. I was left speechless and head over heels in love with this man like never before.

Present
Pain is my constant companion but I have mastered the art of acting. To my parents, I'm their carefree chirpy daughter, to my brother, I'm the wild and irritating sis, to my friends I'm the cheerful go-getter but deep down in my heart I'm fighting a terrible pain. I have never ever felt so much pain before, something excruciating, feels like I have been used, misunderstood. I wish I had a way out of this mess. With love comes possessiveness but I never thought that it would ruin a beautiful relationship. I don’t know how talking or chatting with someone with the opposite sex can always be sensual. Without trust, does love have any meaning at all? Even if there is a wrong-doing, love could be forgiveness.

Awakening
Seasons have come and gone. When yet another rainy season comes I’m left alone with memories of the past haunting me. But as long as my parents are alive I have everything. Now I realize how much I have distanced myself from my parents. The two most important people in my life, the people who are the reason why I’m born, people who knew me since I was a fetus in my mother’s womb. How mean I was even on the 21’st day of my birthday! My love struck eyes were blind to the beautiful cake my father had bought even after they knew my affair and escapades, the gold ring my mum shoved into my index finger, the Salwar and ornaments my brother had bought for me. Gone are the days when daddy’s little girl climbed on his lap and placed a kiss on his forehead. I miss those days when he would come back home with chocolates. I still remember those hard times, the day I looked into my father’s eyes craving for food, I could see no tears in his eyes but I distinctly recall a heart aching deep inside him. I can never forget that day when my brother ran miles to get me food for my little hungry tummy. I can still see the shock and pain in my amma’s eyes as I was beginning to collapse. But all these years, I closed my selfish eyes to their love and care that I even took no notice of the growing tiredness in my old parents, the protruding bones and their weak voice, I never cared to spent time talking to them, I forgot their birthdays. But they give me the greatest surprise because they keep me loving even though I mistreated them. It makes me feel that I am an unworthy daughter who doesn’t deserves such loving parents. No Gods will heed to my plea if I turn against them. If there is something called true love, it is the love of one’s parents. Even if the whole world stands up against you, there will be a mother and father to wrap you around with their warmth.