Appelez-moi | Teen Ink

Appelez-moi

By ChristianGuild GOLD, Grand Ledge, Michigan
ChristianGuild GOLD, Grand Ledge, Michigan

Perception is reality.

An essential part of the world is the diversity in culture, language, and love traditions. With that in mind, I took the language most commonly connected to the feeling of love, French. The first few days went by slowly as everyone was trying to make friends. As people were getting comfortable, there was a girl sitting alone, quiet. And I knew at that moment, I’d fallen in love.

You might think I’m full of lust, or infatuation due to my young age. However, I have felt the difference before. One time, for three years exact, I thought I was in love. It was a feeling that fried my brain, making me unable to communicate with her. It was a feeling of sexual tension that never ceased to stop, it’d only grow every moment we never kissed. I thought it was love and I was wrong. We would confess our “undying love” for each other constantly. We would feel the need to kiss passionately everywhere, including in front of our friends. A couple months after that, she broke my heart for one of her other guy friends.

After having that end, I thought it would never be possible to ever date or “love” again. I was wrong. A few months flew by, dry relationships were created then destroyed, friends were gained back from when I ditched them for my “first love”, and Classe de français a commencé.

As stated before, everyone was getting comfy and talkative except for one person. That one person was shy and lonely. She sat by her redheaded friend with brown eyes, a contrast to her dirty blonde hair with sparkling blue eyes. Those two barely talked except for the occasional small talk about assignments here and there. When we got in groups of four to play the circle game - a game where you circle the French version of the word the teacher said in English - those two were together along with their two table mates. I was with my table partners as well and occasionally I would glance over to make sure she, my crush, was glancing back, and at times she did.

A few times during actual class time we would have something along the lines of a running gag. We would look at each other, I would put my thumb and my pinky next to my ear and I’d mouth the words “Call Me.” (That’s my way of flirting; it’s not talking, but hinting at what I would like to happen between us). She would wink and mouth “okay” back. Finally, after a couple months of flirting back and forth, I gained enough courage to walk up to her and talk to her, only forgetting to write down her number for further communicating. However, that was not needed as I found her on facebook and got it that way, with her permission of course.

Months later we had our first kiss. In that moment, I knew as well did she, as we stood in a glass hallway illuminating us, we were in love, our lives brighter than ever, once again. We are young, but not inexperienced. We are young, but we know our emotions. We are young and we know the the strength behind the unbreakable promise of “I love you”. We trust each other and are willing to compromise with each other as well as argue with each other as needed. And I believe that even though you are once broken, it’s still possible to be fixed again. And I believe love can be found at any age in any place. And I believe the moment I laid eyes on the shy girl in French class, that love at first sight existed.