Influential Teacher | Teen Ink

Influential Teacher

May 10, 2014
By lizsarah5240 SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
lizsarah5240 SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You always miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
-Wayne Gretzky


When asked to define a good teacher, most would quickly retort: someone who makes their students excel academically and do well on their tests. I believe that’s correct, yet, incorrect. Upon further reflection, we realize that good teachers not only make you excel, but they are one of the reasons you want to go to school. They show that they care both about the student’s problems and insecurities, but most importantly, they are there to support the student.

My teacher is like that. Her name is _____ and she has changed the way I see the world. Throughout the year, ______ has become my role model. I believe that becoming even half of the teacher she is, would be an incredible achievement. _____ is one person that never gets to eat lunch alone and in peace, and probably has never finished a lunch in one sitting. Students are always welcomed by her down-to-earth personality. In her classroom, whether it is writing the Jagazine, the school newspaper, her class Writing for the Real World, or National History Day, her room is always buzzing with student activity. She adds color to daily routines by making learning fun. She is quick to give advice to any needy person.
Next year, I will be leaving my school, and leaving my favorite, most influential teacher as I continue my journey into high school. But I leave, assured knowing that others will also be positively influenced by a symbolic person in my life.