I Was a Lifeguard Once | Teen Ink

I Was a Lifeguard Once

By Nameiswhat BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana
Nameiswhat BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

It was the beginning of my shift as a local water park life guard; I had a subtle feeling of dread for the day that lay ahead of me. My shift that day lasted until closing and on that day an employee conference party was being held for Teletalk. I expected the worst but nothing would prepare me for the events that lie ahead. So I strolled in my casual way to my station, which happened to be at the bottom of the two water slides one twisting one straight. The sun was already blazing as the first few patrons arrived. First came some regular Teletalk employees, wife-beater tank tops and duck dynasty beards everything seemed relatively normal. Then, they, came, came in a family of three human beings who it seemed were a miracle of nature just to be walking. A boy who's chest and lower belly bulged far from his spine, making it eternally bow, a father with the same build but in a larger size, height and width wise. And a mother, a woman who someone would only hope not to imagine her in the clothing she was already in. Braking way from my usual first judgment I noticed that tents were being set and tables made. There was also a full stage that was being assembled right before my eyes. Patrons were starting to test the waters, I was relaxed for now but I knew it would get worse. I was happy for now, no one was using the slides but then a boy came shooting out of the twisty slide. Water splashed my legs, which was unusual for the twisty slide. The boy was recognizable because his mother was not an easy one to forget for the wrong reasons. Speaking of his mother she seemed to be nearing dangerously close to the staircase entrance of the slides. Her boy made a second round before she made it to the first step. Once she did though I suddenly became excited, it wasn't often that the slides were that weight tested, I wanted to simply see what would happen, I mean no one could tell her otherwise. She made her trek to the summit, it seemed to be a perilous journey and I was ready for any mistake she may have made. I was not going to let anything hinder her from achieving her goal. Finally it was reached, she got ready, my excitement grew, I and all my infatuate lifeguard wisdom didn't know what would happen. The plunge was taken, I lost visual but there was only one place she could come out and I focused on that. Almost instantly the continuous stream of water coming out of the slide slowed to a dribble, I knew this would happen but not to this degree and the usual slide time extended far beyond what was expected and I stood in my surprise. I would have continued to wait there but my fellow employee at the top of the slides called my name. I gave two whistles, signaling to the other lifeguards that I would be away from my post and started up the slide stairs. Once at the top I could instantly see the problem, there was no need for explanation, the woman, was stuck. She was very anxiously yelling for help, I didn't know if she was in pain or if it was merely out of embarrassment. But the water behind her was building up and at times would cover her face. So I had to act quickly, I brought my safety tube with me and took the plunge. She wasn't to far down the slide and before I knew it my foot was deep in her back. The other one had to fallow to gain sufficient force and with leverage from my hands the left disappeared in a crevasse of flesh. I pushed and pulled back then pushed again, using this method I was eventually able to squeeze her all the way through the slide. Once at the bottom she sloshed out like a thick paste. She was able to get up herself and hoist her body the rest of the way out of the pool with no effort from me. Outside, thank yous were given and I asked her if she was injured. She said no and refused to file a report probably out of embarrassment. So I let her go, she never would touch a pool again for the rest of the day.

I'm sorry...