More Than a Family Circus | Teen Ink

More Than a Family Circus

By NizZzy1 PLATINUM, Arrowsmith, Illinois
NizZzy1 PLATINUM, Arrowsmith, Illinois

Like Moves On
Things Happen
I am my shadow self

My Family and I. My family is definitely one of a kind when it comes to the other “normal” families you see in the world. I honestly don’t know which of my family members is the wackiest of the bunch. With my dad it is a special case, he has that sort of charisma that wants you to get to know him better. I have always thought that I get a lot from my dad more than I get from my mom, because of the idea that he is laid back I am too, he is stubborn on a lot of the same things as I am to him and he just lets himself speak for the people he hangs with. At my house with him it is either fun or embarrassing, whenever my friends or my girlfriend comes over it is hello and later at the same time, he rarely ever comes back to my room when I have people over or when Kathryn comes over. He is always polite to everyone and he always gives either Nate or Cory a hard time whenever they come over, although they never get the point dad is trying to make when he makes fun of them. I always think to myself what I would do without dad and then I choose not to think about at the same time because it brings up bad memories of what I think would happen without dad here. Dad and I always have something to talk about whether it be sports, politics, or just what had happened that day, and in every way I am my father’s son. Many people have told me that I look like my mom where they see that I have no idea but in personality wise I am my dad I speak my opinion about anything if I know something about it and I don’t take anything from anyone so ergo I am the spitting image of my father, even with the selective hearing. My mother has always joked with me and my Dad that he and I have selective hearing, since we “ignore”her whenever we have to do a chore. Like garbage or cleaning the house, Dad and I would always argue that we have selective hearing when Mom says we don't listen, we just say our ears hear what they want to hear. She still doesn't believe us.

My mom, on the other hand, I am in great debt to also. She has taught me a lot of things, many of them I haven’t noticed till now as I got older. She and I haven’t gotten along on a lot of things but we still share the mom and son relationship that all parents have with their kids. She’s pushed me to edge on a lot of things school, sports, music and yet we still have time to be best of friends. We are similar and opposite on a lot of things. She is a heavy religious, I’m not so much she is passionate about being a straight a student when she was in school, and I’m perfectly content with being a B or C student all my school life. Other than that she supported me through all my sport endeavors wrestling, football, baseball and track and she and dad have spent a lot of their busy time and schedule to try and make it too all the events and games that they could and I loved every moment of it even when I don’t show it. She said it herself I’m a shell to everyone I don’t let people get attached to me because I’m used to people coming and going in my life. Which is very true, and I personally think I speak that in my writing and my lyrical style with all the sappy songs and poetry that I have tried to let people get the general idea of it, which as far as I have seen it has failed in almost every angle that I have seen it. Mom has been the only one besides Mr.Wyant to see that under the writing there is something more in their than words and paragraphs, which is one of the many reasons why I love her so much to this day even on our good and bad days.

Now the fun person in my family, my little brother Andrew. What surprises me about Drew is that he is basically taller than me and now that I think about it the not so mini anymore version of me. He is starting to act like me, dress, and speak like me which in my opinion is very VERY annoying. I may not show it in front of everyone in the world, but I do care about him. He may be the pain in the butt to my family and me, but I still care about the kid. What scares me the most is if he is following in my footsteps, I don’t want him making the same bad decisions I have made and I know he won’t listen to me neither will dad or mother, so it’s basically up to me to make sure he makes the right decisions which is a struggle all its own. He is basically the moms favorite of the family he runs to mom if he ever gets told no by dad or I and which is kind of sad but is his own thing which is good because he isn’t copying me exactly. He had to go through the same thing as I had to as a kid he was told to do a sport which was baseball and football. He was a good baseball player but just lost interest in it after 6th grade and he was a very good football player but being his first year he was a little slick on it but his coach wouldn’t play him at all the season so dad pulled him out and made the team forfeit the last three games because the lost of one player that was going to make or break the team which in this case broke the team. Dad wasn’t going to stand for his son being deprived of playing because the coach wasn’t being fair so it didn’t exactly bother him too much that he had crippled the team but it hurt Drew because he was basically hated for being taken off the team and making them lose the games. He got over it eventually but that didn’t break his spirit to be one of the biggest Pokémon enthusiast of the family, this kid literally knows almost every fact that there is to know about which is his hobby I mean I have music so it kind of works out in the long run. He may be one of the most annoying people I know but I still do love the kid even though I don’t tell him that to his face he knows in the special way whenever I beat him at something whether it be video games or just regular sports he knows I am here to watch out for the kid.

And last but definitely not least is my older sister Jennifer. The one person I know I can talk to about anything with. She is the sister I always wanted, aside from the fact that she is 34 now and I’m still 16 doesn’t mean I am not very protective of her and her daughters Ally and Kayli.These girls are ,y pride and joy, it may seem wrong for a guy of my age to be so protective of them, but i honestly don't care. My girls are my life i always check up on them every Friday over a text to make sure that they are okay. I want the best for them as their mom wants for them, I may not be their step-dad like he gets to be there all the time to make sure that they are alright with any problems, but I always tell them I’m just a text or a call away whenever they need their Uncle Nizzy. As an uncle I always seem to be there for my two girls whether it is boy problems or just the idea that converse goes with everything but dc’s are flashy for the clothes they wear. She has made me the caring person that I always wanted to be. I rarely get to see her anymore but she still is a major part of my life, and when she is able to hang out with me and give me advice I tell her how much I care about her and how much I could be able to deal with a lot of the problems that I deal with, without consulting her first. She is basically like dad and I all in a package she is pretty, smart, street smart and resourceful, plus she is always caring for people kind of explains why she is a nurse. She always knew how to make people feel better by giving them a friend to talk too. She isn’t always there for me or for drew but we always keep in touch as much as we can.

That basically sums up my family, as screwy as it may seem to other people I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world their the one true family I can say I’m sort of proud to be seen with in public. And I am hundred percent sure they would say the same thing to me if they saw this as well.

I have a loving family, it may not seem like it all the time but I love them too death aside from the fact they can be a lot more then a hand full at times. If you guys ever see this know that I love you with all my heart and soul. I hope you guys enjoy this little paper about my family