Once and Done | Teen Ink

Once and Done

By langgg_ PLATINUM, Columbia, Maryland
langgg_ PLATINUM, Columbia, Maryland

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift- Steve Prefontaine

There are perfect moments that everybody experiences in life. Whether it's with someone you love, by yourself, or in a mass group it can still be perfect and make you feel infinite in that second or minute that it lasts. But that's the only time it will last. No matter how hard you try, and how many of the same pieces you put into a moment it will never be the same as the first one. Even if it was, you would not get the same feeling because you had already had it; it would not be a new experience. For that same feeling you need to find something else just as amazing that you have never done before, and do it. Then you'll have to find another and another because the same thing can never reproduce that feeling. For example, I always have such high expectations when I go to New York every year because I remember that first time I went and how I reacted. It was glorious and memorable and I loved everything about it. But now, I am starting to realize that everything that is there for me to see is nothing new, nothing that will catch my eye, nothing that will surprise me since I have been there countless times. Sure, it's still one of my favorite places in the world and I still love going there, but I need to stop holding it up to a standard that it can never again reach because it already hit that peak and it can't stay there. That’s just how great things in life work. Things can stay great but they'll never be as perfect as that one moment because that feeling was meant for that moment, and that moment only.