Just English | Teen Ink

Just English

By GoldBlood BRONZE, Manorville, New York
GoldBlood BRONZE, Manorville, New York

Setting my alarm was the easy part, but waking up was the challenge. “I start my first day of college tomorrow “I kept telling myself while trying to doze off. But, my anxiety was superb. I just wanted it to be tomorrow already! I blinked my eye once, and suddenly it was 11:17 am. I shot out of my bed, thinking I was late but I remembered. I’m not in high school anymore. Everything was going to be different, for the better and the worse.

After my morning preparation, I hopped in my car and headed to Suffolk. When I arrived, I searched for my friends like a lost kid in a playground looking for their guardian. Finally, they found me! I felt like a tourist in a foreign country, asking questions about where I go and what’s what. 1:45 came and I was on a mission to get to class. I was hoping my professor didn’t end class early like last time, my readiness to learn was out of this world. In another universe if you may. I arrived early but as I walked into my classroom, I saw a green paper on the door but I just glanced at it like driver at a stop sign. I took my same seat as last time, turning my devices off, preparing my notebook and behaving like a student is expected to. Five till but still, no professor. “Ah, not again...” I cried to a fellow classmate. He responded with a shrug. I heard the handle turn for the door, I looked and guess who it was? No, not my professor but girl that looked like she was unsure if she was in the right classroom. Twenty minutes went by, well, at least it felt like it; the door opened again. It was Professor Calvin. He told us the sign on the door was meant to be read and for us to go to another room to begin class. I packed up and went.

Class was for an hour but it flew by. Sadly, that was my only class that day, but it was worth it. It wasn’t intimidating but whatever put forward, you get in return. Well, that’s how I looked at it. One down, four more to go.