His Last Days

The days when the sun never seemed to shine as bright, when a smile did not penetrate my face...when my horse was dying. Those were his last days. I remember that first day when I was Hershey’s new owner, April 12, 2012. I had rescued him from his death and gave him my love till the day he left me and went to horse heaven. He was my best friend!

I lay in my bed, listening for any noises, any little something that would tell me if someone was still awake. Only the crinkling of my sheets as i gently slipped out of bed, sounded in the house. I tiptoed to the window, pressing my hands to the cold glass, i slid it open. One leg out the window, then the other. The cool summer wind brushed against my bare legs and up into my nightgown. I shut the window, crawled to the peak of the roof, and gazed across our yard through the darkness to the fence where my horse was. I sighed and blinked back tears. Hershey was getting older and older, and weaker and weaker. He was going to die soon. A silence stole the air.

I can't let him live in misery and suffering, I can't!

As tears began draining down my face and dropping down unto my chest, I realized. I couldn't just let him suffer and die, I had to get him put down.

That last day came too quickly. It was time I had to load my equine friend into the trailer and take him away from our home forever.

“I’m just going to ride in here with Hershey”, I whispered to the driver through the trailer wall.

“C’mon Janelle, it’s going to get too dusty” he called out, “Come up in the front.”
“These are our last moments together and we need each other, just jump in and drive”, I answered, wiping my eyes.

With a jerk of the trailer and a wave to my mother, we were off. I turned and leaned into my big warm friend. Looking up into his eyes, I saw a sadness I’ve never seen before. It was as if he knew this was the end.

“Oh Hershey!” I cried, “I love you so much!”

Then he gave the sweetest neigh that warmed my heart.

With my arms around his neck, his mane gathered in my hands, and his head resting on my shoulder we embraced each other. And we rode like this toward the end of his life, these were his last days.

Janelle J. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 23 at 11:36 am:
Please give an feedback!:)

Love Ya <3 replied...
Oct. 24 at 11:32 am :
Janelle:)  Love ya:) Post more stuff on TeenInk! You are the best ever!:) 

Janelle J. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 3:19 pm :
Thanks! I'll keep posting more...or trying to:)

Mags said...
Oct. 14 at 3:44 pm:
Great job. Flows awesome...keep it up!! 

today at 3:20 pm :
Ha thanks! This is the article I got a 50% on in Creative Writing!:/