The Health Test | Teen Ink

The Health Test

October 4, 2013
By Conner105 BRONZE, Tustin, Michigan
Conner105 BRONZE, Tustin, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short.” - Armistead Maupin


The scariest moment in my life. So far, and so close. Hardly sleeping. Twisting, turning and being in a cold sweat the night before. My dream so close, but the nightmare is closer.

I arrived a day before, a group of us from all around the state stayed at a wonderful hotel all paid for by the government. We all were so calm on the outside, but if you looked in our eyes a little deeper you could see the fear inside.

My roommate and I went to bed early that night knowing we would have to be up, and be ready for a long day. It took me a while to fall asleep but once I did, I was out. Everyone there for the medical exam got a cheery wakeup call at 4:45am, I however was already awake. Including my roommate who says he didn’t even sleep at all. With our stuff packed we headed to a so called breakfast; with fake eggs and with over salted hash browns, and then on the bus to Meps. Being there for the ASVAP I kind of knew my way around, the people however were different this time.

So you are most likely wondering. “Why are you freaking out so much? If you're not in good health why be there in the first place?’ I'm in perfect health, but as my Sargent said. “These people are the enemies.” I knew what their job was. It was simple, find anything and everything to use against you.

The day dragged on, test here and there, a couple pokes, and having to do so many movements over and over again that it felt like a dance performance.

I passed everything they threw at me, talked my way through every question and never gave them anything they could hold against me. But… I failed. They had one more bullet, and it hit me. Blood pressure.

Test after test it was always a little too high. How do they expect it not to be?! I’m in a government building trying to fight for my life! I did get lucky though. I wasn't able to swear in like I wanted to, however with a doctor’s note I will be able to come back next month to be sworn in happily.

The job that I’m hoping to get is infantry and as far as I know, I’m going to get it. With Basic this summer, along with inventory training after high school. My life is going to be on track. I’m so close I can almost taste it! This is one small step for now, but a huge one for my life. This is the door, which will wake me from the nightmare.


The author's comments:
We had to write a memoir for our english class. This was mine and I wished to show my work.