Competing (Or Not) | Teen Ink

Competing (Or Not)

By chasing_fantasies_ GOLD, Easley, South Carolina
chasing_fantasies_ GOLD, Easley, South Carolina

"In order to get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done."

Tomorrow I have the second marching band competition of the season. The day before the first one, I had a bit of an accident. I was staying the night at my friend's house for convenience. We had just been to Wal*Mart and had gotten her cat a new litter box with a dome top. When we got back to her house, I was cutting the zip-ties off that held the top and bottom together. As I was on the last one, it finally broke and the scissors slipped. The result was an inch-deep gash in my left hand that had to have seven stitches in it. As a result, I could not perform at the competition. Today at practice, two days before my stitches were supposed to come out, I decided to see if I could move my hand and do flag work for Color Guard. I ended up splitting a stitch and now have to have my stitches in for an extra week. I won't be able to perform at the competition tomorrow or the one we have next weekend.

This is the worst injury I've ever had and it may end up effecting my hand forever. I may not be able to participate in Color Guard or Winter Guard if the situation continues. But I know I have to push through this struggle or I will lose complete movement of my left hand.

on Oct. 11 2013 at 10:34 am

My hand is much better now. I will not have full function of my hand, but I am able to perform. Hopefully all goes well and I won't  make the injury worse.