The High Heeled Shoes

CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK. The first thing I heard was the sound of high heel shoes on the tiled floor. I was rummaging through my papers while simultaneously looking for a pen, when I noticed the sound was coming closer. From the corner of my eye, I saw them. The heel was stick thin and about six or seven inches from the ground. This was the kind of heel that you could easily injure yourself in, but they were cute nonetheless. As the sound continued forward, I examined the rest of the shoe. They were red. Not blood red, lighter than that, but still red. I guess I would call it vibrant red. Their color was bright and piercing. Neon is a better word to describe them… I loved those shoes! I wanted a pair just like them, but not so much anymore...

CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK. The first thing I heard was the sound of high heel shoes hitting the tiled floor. I was ready to pay attention, but at the same time, I was extremely bored. I rummaged through my bag to find a pen and paper. That way, I could cure my boredom by drawing doodles. It seemed like an eternity before I heard the door shut, but in truth, it must have only been a few minutes. The sound of those high heels began again. CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK. As they moved past me, I felt a chill. Suddenly, I noticed the high heels had stopped hitting the tile. The room was quiet. I lifted my head from the piece of paper I had doodled on. That was when I saw her.

I felt as though I could not breathe. BUH BOOM BUH BOOM. My heart was beating so fast, I swear you could hear it from a mile away! (My inner English major hates using these types of expressions, but I can't help it! It is scary how accurate it is to how I actually felt.) I remember the moment as if it was yesterday. I tried so hard not to attract attention to myself. I still do not know if anyone noticed me that day. I was in awe of the person standing in front of me. I could not help but stare. I had never seen such deep brown eyes. The were almost like dark chocolate, but not quite. It's hard for me to explain how truly beautiful they are. Not to mention the sparkle in them. I never understood exactly where that came from, but it was usually accompanied by an enchanting, pearl of a smile.

Just yesterday, I was having a conversation with my aunt. She told me that no matter where you go and what you do in life, you will never forget your first love. I smiled. Instantly, I though about her. My face turned as red as a freshly grown tomato! (Oh, the irony... At the time, my aunt had been referring to my brother’s first serious girlfriend. She didn’t realize how that statement could be applied to me.) We were watching them dance together. They were laughing, smiling, and playfully teasing each other. It was adorable. Watching them made me think about what could have been. I know that it will never happen, but there is always that “What if?” Sometimes I cry. (Ball my eyes out is more accurate.) Other times I smile. (I am blushing!) I have even gotten angry. (I am not sure why. I could never be mad at her, even if I had a reason to be.) It was probably just deep rooted sadness... (It’s funny how a pair of shoes can cause so much emotion...) I am laughing at myself... Anyway, as my aunt and I were watching my brother and his girlfriend, I saw her tear up. I could not believe that even she gets emotional over her first love. That only validates that I will never forget those red shoes. She told me that no matter where you go and what you do in life, you will never forget your first love. I smiled. Instantly, I though about her. My face turned fifty shades of red. In response, I laughed, and replied, “Believe me, I know.”