Graduation Speech | Teen Ink

Graduation Speech

By chocolatina PLATINUM, Northbrook, Illinois
chocolatina PLATINUM, Northbrook, Illinois

"God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers."

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” Dr. Seuss’ words of wisdom ring in my ears tonight as we bid farewell to a joyous phase of our lives and embrace a new chapter. Welcome, ladies and gentleman, to our eighth grade graduation.

The remaining days of school we have so meticulously been counting have reached zero. The diplomas have been printed. The high school placements have been finalized. Soon, our school will only be a lasting memory. Therefore, please join us in honoring that precious memory and reflecting upon the unforgettable moments we, as a great big family, have shared.

For the past six years, this school has been my second home and my friends and teachers here have been my second family. I came to this district in third grade. Little did I know that here I would meet some of the most amazing people in my life. I will admit that this stage of my education was a rough road at times. Sure we all encountered bumps on our journey, but that only allowed us to appreciate the smoothness of the ride that much more. This journey took us from multiplication tables to graphing inequalities, from learning state capitals to model U.N., and from dissecting owl pellets to identifying ionic compounds. Each year equipped us with new, invaluable knowledge that we will never discard.

Not only has this district caused us to academically grow, it has also allowed us to probe the social and mental aspects of life. Whether it was fourth grade crushes, seventh grade stressful homework nights, or eighth grade popularity troubles, we definitely had our share of emotional issues that tried to trip us on our journey. However, school stood as our base, our foundation, and prevented us from falling face-flat on the floor.

As we all know, this is a well-deserved night for the eighth grade class. Although we eighth graders worked hard to reach this stage, countless other people have made this possible. The credit can only be given to our teachers, staff members, parents, and family who have tirelessly guided us through this part of our life. A simple “thanks” cannot convey the gratitude this eighth grade class holds for you. You have sacrificed your time, energy, and patience to aid us in reaching this moment. Your contribution to this great accomplishment shall never be forgotten.

And finally, my peers. I am proud to be a part of such a unique and talented group of individuals and can honestly say that every fellow student of mine here has the potential and dedication to achieve any task they set their mind to. I am confident that each individual on this stage will allow the roar of the tiger to be heard wherever they go in life. This district, as promised, has prepared today’s students for tomorrow’s world.

Now, fellow graduates, take this diploma, not as a farewell note from middle school, but as the key to high school and beyond. Congratulations Class of 2013. We did it.