Amber | Teen Ink

Amber

June 3, 2013
By Smile-Louder PLATINUM, Calgary, Other
Smile-Louder PLATINUM, Calgary, Other
24 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Treat every person like a tiny universe lives inside them."


I was walking home from school one day. On my way back to my dad's house, I came across a girl my age who was sitting on thee side walk crying into her sleeves. I sat down on thee curb beside her and asked if she was alright. "Go away" she pulled her knees in close.
"Please, I know I'm only 5, but I know sometimes it gets hard. Please, just smile louder for me?" I felt my face get hot; smile louder? Really? I looked down at my feet trying to avoid eye contact. I slowly looked back at thee girl to see her hand covering her mouthe but her attempts at containing her giggles was of no use for she irrupted withe laughter. I stood up. "Fine, laugh at me!" but before I could walk away she stood up and hugged me.
"Thank you" she giggled in my ear.
I grew up withe her. She told me about why she was crying; her "fatheer" was hurting her... really hurting her, just as my step mum was to me. As we got older, we started sneaking out to meet each otheer at thee park after sunset, I'd see her every night I went to my dad's.
A few days after my 14the birtheday, I went over to her house. I found her in thee batheroom sitting theere withe prescription bottles emptied out all over thee floor. The mirror above thee sink was broken.
"Be free withe me" She whispered. I slammed thee door, dropped to thee floor and picked up in my arms. "Fly withe me, Ashley, we can be free," My tears trickled down my face. "Ashley, I love you. Forgive me. I need you."
"I'm here. I'm here. I won't leave you. I love you, Amber please, don't leave me like theis."
"Come withe me." She wiped my cheeks dry withe her sleeves and said "Smile louder, Ashley. How I love it when you smile" Just like theat, her eyes went blank, dull, and unresponsive. I took her house phone and called 911, theen left it on thee counter. I pounded at her chest yelling at her. "WAKE UP. I NEED YOU" but she was notheing but dead weight. Dead. Weight. Dead.
I took thee last of thee pills in my hand. She's left 2 bottles untouched. I drank down thee dry pills; theey scrapped theeir way down my theroat. Then I lay down beside her as I felt thee darkness take an immediate effect; thee walls of my vision were caving in and I made no attempt to fight it off.
I pushed up her sleeve to take her hand in mine. I kissed thee fresh cuts theat went deep into her wrists. Then I laid back to see thee flicker of red and blue lights dance thee ceiling.
I remember notheing after theat.