My Liberated Body This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My body will be liberated when I can walk home without checking over my shoulder, holding my keys in my hand, making sure 911 is on speed dial, and keeping my head down. My body will be unchained when I can walk to the corner store in broad daylight without men whistling, asking if I need a ride, why my boyfriend isn't driving me, or how I'm doing.

My body will be free when I can turn on the radio without hearing the musical degradation of my gender, without hearing to the words “sl*t” and “wh**e” sung and rapped to catchy tunes.

When models of all shapes, colors, and sizes strut down the runway, my body will be liberated. When I no longer feel pressure to emulate Photoshopped, starved, primped, skeletal bodies that don't even exist except on the magazine pages, my body will be liberated. When American Apparel makes size extra large and not just extra small, my body will be liberated.

My body will be liberated when I can show it off without “asking for it,” and when I get the same respect in a miniskirt as I do in jeans.

It will be liberated when I can be with whomever I please, whenever I please, any way I please, without it making me lesser. When I can say no, even if I said yes before. Even if I said yes to his friend. Even if I have a reputation. Even if he took me to a nice restaurant first. Even if he's my boyfriend.

My body will be liberated when politicians stop telling me what I can and cannot do with it. My body will be liberated when I can take for granted my right to choose when, if ever, I have a child. And my body will be liberated when my child doesn't have to unlearn what a patriarchal society has taught her about her body.

My body is unique. My body is mine. It's not my identity; it does not define me; it does not decide my worth. It's just my body. But it needs to be liberated from violence, objectification, judgment, and unjust control.

slb126 said...
Aug. 21 at 12:19 pm:
Not only is this moving and powerful, it says a lot of things that this world could stand to hear. Great job!

Michaela95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 10 at 7:43 am:
I think that that is a very well written piece. It is striking without being aggressive and I really enjoyed the honesty. Thank you for speaking this way for the millions of women who feel the same

Sequoia O. said...
Jul. 24 at 12:38 am:
It's true...just because we are women and girls doesn't mean men have to treat us like we're candy.

junedayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 19 at 1:07 pm:
Great article! You treat the topic in a very memorable way through your use of repetition.

sal.jo said...
Jul. 15 at 4:16 pm:
Such a beautiful article. I couldn't agree more with everything you wrote! Great job!

MeineFrauleinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 3 at 3:35 am:
You make some really good points here! Wonderful job!

SecretFlameThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 22 at 11:28 am:
Love it :)

crazyzm said...
Feb. 11 at 11:59 am:
I have no words...truly amazing! I'm glad it was put in the magazine...wow.

Zoya_Khan said...
Jan. 27 at 11:54 am:
This is totally amazing...

PyroHearts said...
Jan. 24 at 1:30 am:
Very strong article. Loved it. Thank you for writing.

KateeRose said...
Jan. 22 at 7:38 pm:
This is amazing. Thank you!

AandG said...
Jan. 22 at 12:15 pm:
This is such a perfectly written description of it...thank you for writing it, it's beautiful!

dianepoonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 21 at 10:55 am:
As a female that's concerned about gender equality issues, I love this piece to bits.

Call_Me_AriaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 19 at 5:27 pm:
Powerful and true :D well done!

midnightsilence said...
Jan. 17 at 4:18 pm:
This is a lovely piece. It certainly encapsulates the mood of Smith College. Great work!

IlovemeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 16 at 11:22 am:
It's true. I loved how you stated everything  :)

LanimalThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 9 at 8:29 pm:
This is incredible! Love the repitition of "my body," and how relatable this entire article is! Definitely a favorite. :)

A.A.K.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 9 at 6:04 pm:
Very interesting style! You manage to address a wide range of topics in an artful and in-depth way. Well done, I look forward to reading more of your work!

HiltonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 5 at 7:48 pm:
Wow this is the most amazing thing I ever read. You well define the prompt.

PaperArmageddonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 5 at 12:52 am:
Holy cow, this is amazing. Very well written and it makes me feel good somehow.