Spiders and Saruman

Several weeks ago, I was at camp with my friend, who, like me, is a big fan of Lord of the Rings. At one point, I saw a spider crawling on my leg. Not being afraid of spiders, I casually brushed it off and continued talking to my friend (who I’ll call Jane for the purpose of this article). Jane has arachnophobia, and she said something along the lines of, “If that had happened to me, I would have run around screaming” after the spider incident. She paused for a moment, before turning to me and saying, “What would happen if Aragorn saw a spider crawling on him?”

This sparked a huge debate that lasted the entire week. For your entertainment, here is the list we came up with:
Legolas: Exactly what I did; just brush it off casually.
Faramir: Have mood swings at it.
Boromir: Have more extreme mood swings at it.
Arwen: Whisper at it while switching from Elvish to English randomly.
Aragorn: Brush it off and then stomp on it.
Gollum/Smeagol: Eat it.
Gandalf: Turn it into a small pebble.
Eowyn: Kill it with her sword, but in a really cool looking way.
Grima Wormtongue: Give it bad advice and lie to it.
Galadriel: The spider would be scared of her.
Celeborn: Once again, the spider would be scared of him.
Sauron: Kill it in a fiery flame of death.
Sam: Become its friend.
Merry and Pippin: Possibly be scared of it; most likely laugh at it.
Bilbo: Tell it stories.
Frodo: We weren’t quite sure what he would do. We thought he might stare at it for a moment before brushing it off or smashing it.
Saruman: Betray it and then turn it into a small pebble.
Elrond: This is the only one we never actually decided on. Personally, I think he would get annoyed at it and brush it off.
Gimli: Smash it. Immediately.
King Theoden: Lead an army against it.

Well, that is pretty much the whole list. Please remember that I am a huge fan of Lord of the Rings, and this is just for fun. Feel free to comment on what you think these characters would do.

ThatClarinetPerson said...
Oh my gosh I love this! I'm going to send it to my friend who knows the books/movies a lot better than I do and tell you what she thinks.