Myself as a Reader | Teen Ink

Myself as a Reader

By MorganD BRONZE, Neenah, Wisconsin
MorganD BRONZE, Neenah, Wisconsin

When reflecting upon myself as a reader prior to my 8th grade year, I realize that this year I understood what I read in comparison to my past years, I improved in my abilities to, read more, understand what I read, and take reading seriously, and I gained necessary reading skills to help me in my future as a social worker.

I honestly never liked reading; I never thought I needed it for anything. But, I was most definitely wrong. “Our students should be reading through many windows, not just a single narrow window that gives them a view of the next exam (29.10-11). And, this means if kids or even adults want to be something, they should read, and understand what they read, because honestly reading gives people all the information that you need, to help you understand certain things. Which is what I’m starting to understand, and realize that reading isn’t a game, it’s to help you in the future. Even though you may not want to read, it’s always a good thing to do!

I have always had problems reading, and understanding what I read, it’s because I have dyslexia. And, whenever I read I sometimes see things backwards, floating, and it’s just harder to understand what I’m actually reading most of the time. I never really knew how to deal with it. But, I learned how to, the more I read the more I understood what I had to do, to become a more intelligent reader, and understand what I read. This for me is a good thing.

I’ve never really took reading seriously, I thought reading was just in case you get bored, or wanted something. But, when I actually looked up what reading can do to help a person I got all the information that I needed. Reading helps you be something, it helps you get smarter, and more intelligent for something that you want to do in the future. I’m honestly, going to start taking reading more seriously because I want to do something with my life, and be somebody. Not just somebody that cleans up after people for a living because they didn’t get the skills that they needed back in high school. So, I’m going to start trying, and make something out of my life!!

When reflecting upon myself as a reader prior to my 8th grade year, I realize that this year I understood what I read in comparison to my past years, I improved in my abilities to, read more, understand what I read, and take reading more seriously, and I gained necessary reading skills to help me in my future as a social worker.

I had to do this for my english final.