Killer Whales This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I'll tell you what scares me: killer whales. Some people call them orcas, but I don't like the way the hard c and the r remind me of their sharp, abundant teeth, ready to sink into the flesh of the innocent. The word “orca” also reminds me of those beasts in Tolkein's stories – the ones born in mud.

I don't like the haughty colors – the black and white – of their skin, unafraid of being seen because they fear nothing. They are absolute monarchs of the sea, unchallenged, dictating life and death below the surface.

I wish I could've told them that I don't like killer whales. I wish they had thought of the way the sea-bound heathens play with the fluffier arctic life ­before devouring their prey, or how they slide ashore to ambush the unexpecting, saucer-eyed seals. The nurses were nice enough, but they didn't understand the fear a killer whale can evoke in a defenseless penguin – or a five-year-old with appendicitus.

Damn “Free Willy.” I wasn't free. If I could've spoken, I would've chosen harsh, ugly words to ask the long-winded doctor to shut off the damn television. Just because I was young didn't mean I liked to watch whales hurl themselves into the air like torpedos. Ask Jonah how he liked whales.

Still, the hospital ran their only PG movie on repeat for the toddler on bed rest who couldn't speak to beg for mercy.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

MMsunshine- This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:12 am:
haha:D would it be alright to say i love it? because i did. loved how cynical it was, and how it made me chuckle:) going to read a bit more of your work, so far loved this and "circus"