Wish Upon A Snake | Teen Ink

Wish Upon A Snake

March 15, 2011
By LifesGood SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
LifesGood SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
5 articles 9 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure. ~Don Wilder


There it was…the undeniable, gravitational pull you feel when looking at something you have wanted for as long as you can remember. You know the sensation is real when it’s the last thing you think about when going to sleep, and the first thing that enters your mind when you wake up in the morning. It can be for anything…the $500 Gucci purse you saw at Lenox mall, a 2009 Silver Porsche, or even the cute boy who sits behind you in Literature. But for me, it was a little different. My love when I was four was for reptiles. All reptiles—lumpy, bumpy big-eyed frogs; lazy, listless lizards; timid, tender-hearted turtles; and slithery, sluggish, sneaky snakes! Unfortunately, the rest of my family didn’t share my enchantment. Instead, they were more attracted to furry, friendly felines. As we got closer to my 5th birthday, I made a wish list for my family, or perhaps I should say a wish item—I wanted a snake.

The days before my birthday passed so slowly they seemed more like months until finally the day came. One by one, I opened the shimmering packages, my disappointment growing every second. I could practically feel my heart sinking into the pit of my stomach as I fought back the tears. I felt as though the world was falling apart. By the last present, the tears were welling up in the corners of my eyes, threatening to make the fateful fall with every blink. With a final gulp, I dashed up the stairs into my room, every footstep echoing in my ear. The freshly painted bright blue of my walls seemed grayer now. The empty glass cage perched on the edge of my desk was like a knife piercing my heart. Then, I saw it, sitting on my pillow like a gift from the tooth fairy. With trembling hands I opened the letter to find a picture of Reptile Warehouse, my heaven. Excitement flooded through my body, seeping through every pore. In record-breaking time, we were on our way to find my best friend.

We arrived and entered the store, unsure of what to expect. The smell of cedar wood chips hit me like a wall. It was better than I could ever imagine. Small glass cages lined the walls, filled with every reptile you can imagine. I sprinted to the snake section with wide eyes and butterflies. After nearly an hour of handling gawking, I finally decided on a small, black and white baby Spotted Python. He was no longer than a banana and as big around as a Twizzler. It was love at first sight. The second his smooth, scaly skin touched mine I felt a spark. We were meant for each other. I proudly paraded him around the store, showing him off to anyone who would pay attention. Finally, we were ready to go. I sat in the car admiring his every twist and turn as his skin rippled over mine and he twirled between my fingers. From that day forth, he was my partner in crime, my best friend, and my companion.