Home is Where the Heart is

I took a deep breath and smiled at the sea, hardly believing in the beauty that lies in my very backyard. My small-town yard was enormous, with a tennis court, a garden, a patio, and foliage galore. The sailboats were covered by blue tarps and were upside down on one side of the house. I was on the farthest edge of the property from my family’s cottage, between it and the ocean. The sun was setting; a million colors of the rainbow shimmering on the surface of the aquamarine water. The lapping waves winked at me, as if to say, “Good night. It’s been another fantastic day.” I turned my face towards the sky. The sun was working its magic on the sky, too, the rays a warm combination of tangerine, magenta, scarlet, golden, and everything in between. Resting on an ancient, yet timeless wooden chair swing, I sighed serenely. My favorite place in the world, where I always felt the most like myself, never failed to keep me mesmerized by its wonder and effortless beauty. I stared off into the horizon; where the water meets the sky, hoping I would never have to say goodbye.