Rachael: My best friend who battled cancer

It was a fine day in 2002. I just started kindergarten. All kindergartens had to have a “mentor” who was two years older then kindergartners. All girls chose girls. She was so beautiful. With long black silky hair and pale skin. She was perfect. Her name was Rachael. We started to talk about so much. Right than we fell like we just were two puzzle pieces that fit together on the jigsaw puzzle. From that day on we became very close. Best friends.

Kindergarten went of great with Rachael. When I was bullied she was like my big sister always by my side. Always there for me when I needed her. And I enjoyed it. When I entered first I went to a new school. I couldn't find a friend like Rachael there. After first grade I went back to the school I was in Kindergarten. By the third month of Second grade something started to puzzle me. I saw Rachael’s sister Mary. “Were is Rachael?” I questioned. I saw tears build up in Mary's eyes.

“Rachael is in the hospital. The doctors diagnosed her with Leukemia. Next week she will have chemotherapy.” Just then we both cried in silence. Questions scattered in my brain like. Will Rachael die? Will I loose my Best friend? I was so scared in fear. What will happen to my best friend. I hung in there with Mary hoping that there will be some hope. The end of second grade lead up to a summer of happiness. I was happy but I had my fingers crossed that Rachael will be alright.

Third grade became the hardest year of my life. Even now tears roll down my cheeks. Rachael died peacefully on October 30, 2005 she was only ten. I ended up with one who I could always trust upon. Someone who was always there to help me conquer my fears. This was my best friend. Who would soon be gone. Not just for a few months but forever.

~In loving memory of Rachael M. Smith. My best friend. I know you are always with me wherever you are.~ May 29, 1995-October 30, 2005

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:07 am:
I'm so sorry you had to go through this :( 

ama1013 said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 8:14 pm:
awww that's so sad. :'(