The Sports of My Life | Teen Ink

The Sports of My Life

November 18, 2010
By matt5vogel BRONZE, Sidney, New York
matt5vogel BRONZE, Sidney, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When I was a kid I always enjoyed sports. The first organized sport I ever played was youth soccer. I also played tee ball and Sunday basketball. Once I was old enough I began to play pee wee football here in Sidney, and I gave up soccer. From then on I’ve played football, basketball, and baseball.

In second grade I began to play youth football. I got to start a year earlier than I should have because my mom knew the person who was head of the football league. I continued to play football for that league until sixth grade. In all those years I’ve had some of my best memories. Once seventh grade started and until the end of eighth grade I played modified football, but our team was a powerhouse because it combined our two pee wee teams which were very good. I’ve played football on J.V. my ninth grade year, but got hurt my tenth grade year and couldn’t play. I’ve been on the varsity team since eleventh grade, and right now we finished the season at 8-2.

In the winter the sport I play is basketball. I started to play this in second grade also. This league is run through the Tri-Town Boys and Girls Club, and we played every Sunday at 11 o’clock. Children could play in this league through sixth grade because modified basketball started in seventh grade. I played modified basketball through eighth grade for Sidney. From ninth grade to tenth grade I played on the J.V. team for Coach Finnegan, and my junior year and my soon to be senior year on the varsity squad for Coach Brazee. Our team is looking like it is going to be very good this year and we are the favorite in the league. In fifth grade I was on a traveling team through the Boys and Girls Club which morphed into an AAU team in seventh grade. Ed Curley started to coach our AAU or Amateur Athletic Union team until his brother took it over my ninth grade year. I’ve played on this team up until the end of my junior year, because you’re not allowed to play as a senior even though I am young enough to still play. Our basketball team has very good athletes and a very good coach who will make the season fun, and we should go a long way in playoffs.

Baseball is my favorite sport because I just love the feeling of being on the field. I’ve played baseball since kindergarten, and it began with tee ball. I played tee ball until third grade when I had to switch to pee wee, which is where I broke my nose. I did this by tripping over my shoe lace and falling backwards and having the pop fly land right on my nose. I played in pee wee until the end of fourth grade and then went on to play little league, which is where I hit my first ever homerun over the fence. Also in little league I began to catch, and I loved catching because you had action in every play. In my first year of little league I played the Rose Reality ten and under team and the next summer I played on the Blue Moose traveling team. In seventh grade I played modified baseball and during the summer I had an extra year of Blue Moose left because I am so young so I played that. In eighth grade I played modified baseball again, and I started both years I was on the team. In the summer going into my freshmen year I played on the Pony baseball team, which is 15 and under. My ninth grade year I started on the JV team in center field. During the summer I played on the junior legion baseball team for Coach Vibbard, who is also the varsity baseball coach. Since tenth grade I’ve been a starter on the varsity baseball team as an outfielder and infielder. My junior year was my first time catching since little league, but I worked very hard and our team went to the sectional championship. I cannot wait to see what my senior season holds for our baseball team, and I can feel the energy and excitement already for the season to come.

I love sports; they are very entertaining to me and are also fun to play. You can play sports when you are just a small child and can continue to play them when you’re an adult. Anyone of all ages can enjoy sports even if they can’t play them, you can do this by watching them. Youth sports organizations are very helpful to kids to learn the game, and to improve their skill.

Baseball is my favorite sport because I just love the feeling of being on the field. I’ve played baseball since kindergarten, and it began with tee ball. I played tee ball until third grade when I had to switch to pee wee, which is where I broke my nose. I did this by tripping over my shoe lace and falling backwards and having the pop fly land right on my nose. I played in pee wee until the end of fourth grade and then went on to play little league, which is where I hit my first ever homerun over the fence. Also in little league I began to catch, I loved catching because you had action in every play. In my first year of little league I played on the rose reality ten and under team and the next summer I played on the blue moose traveling team. In seventh grade I played modified baseball and during the summer I had an extra year of blue moose because I am so young. In eighth grade I played modified baseball again, I started both years I was on the team. In the summer going into my freshmen year I played on the pony team, which is a 15 and under team. My ninth grade year I started on the JV team in center field, and during the summer I began to play junior legion baseball for coach Vibbard, who is also the varsity baseball coach. From tenth grade on I’ve been a starter on the varsity baseball team, as an outfielder and infielder. My junior year was my first time catching since little league, but I worked very hard and our team went to the sectional championship. I cannot wait to see what my senior season holds for our baseball team, and I can feel the energy and excitement already for the season to come.

I love sports; they are very entertaining to me and are also fun to play. You can play sports when you are just a small child and can continue to play them when you’re an adult. Anyone of all ages can enjoy sports even if they can’t play them, you can do this by watching them. Youth sports organizations are very helpful to kids to learn the game, and to improve their skill.