Once I Believed... This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

When I was a small child, I was the type of kid that believed wholeheartedly in magic. I would often take refuge from the stress of the ‘real world’ up in my room or outside brandishing a wand (a twig), sporting a wizard’s robe (blanket), and carrying one of the fabulous Harry Potter books. With these combined with my eager imagination, I could delve deeply into the depths of the wizarding world and explore my fantasies to the heart’s content.

Sad though it may seem, I really did believe in magic. I wasn’t ashamed of it though, for I was confident that I would soon receive my envelope admitting me into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I would be whisked away, with the scent of adventure filling my nose, from all of my petty problems and cruel peers to a wonderful world where my wildest dreams would take the place of harsh reality.

So I waited. I waited, sometimes planning what I would do with my life once I was unveiled to be a wizard. I waited, barely daring to imagine the bliss I would feel when the owl would swoop in with a letter of parchment tied to its leg. And I waited, starting to worry that maybe I wasn’t a wizard after all. And I waited, with the looming possibility that there was no magic peering around my wishes and imaginations.

As you’re probably predicting, the inevitable happened. The year came and went when I was supposed to receive the invitation. With the disappearance of that letter came the disappearance of all of my hope. Filled with a bit of fresh apathy, I continued my life leaving behind that dead dream that had lifted me up and then dropped me.

And soon, the dream was forgotten.

But as I grew up in a world with no spells or quidditch, as I was raised without wand or flying broomstick, as I became accustomed to there being no dragons or unicorns, I realized something. Magic did exist. Maybe it didn’t appear in the form that I had pictured while reading the Harry Potter series, but it was definitely there.

It sometimes showed itself when I was listening to a symphony of beautiful music. It surprised me every time I looked outside at night and saw the great moon and myriad of stars. It comforted me in the form of loyal friends or caring family. It said hello as I witnessed moments of extreme kindness or affection and twinkled in my tears as I dwelled on them. It resided in places of remotest nature and utmost sacredness. Magic was joy. Magic was love. Magic was music. Magic was hope. Magic was God.

So I became content once again. True, I did not live as I had imagined since I was so very young and wistful for a world that I would never reach. But I had found the world as it truly is, and found it to be a hundred times more fulfilling. For magic is real, and magic is here.

IamtheStargirl said...

This is so beautiful, and I can really relate to your experience. I too waited for my Hogwarts letter to arrive when I turned the magical age of eleven. And, I too, was crushed when it never arrived.

You are right about the everyday magic that people are sometimes blinded to by fantasy books or stories, but you forgot one more magic; that is magic of creation.

Thanks for writing this :)

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 11:55 am
Yeah, I saw the movie, much better than the first part. 

Aderes18 replied...

Well, you should be!(Just as confident as your book counterpart) because you are just as kind and sweet and witty as her! :)

You know, I want to hear Raven's and Izzy-Bard's ideas about the new Harry Potter movie so let me make a forum and then we can talk more! 

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

Awww, thanks :) 

Let me know when you do, that sounds like fun :D

AmazingGrace said...
Oh this is great!!!  I'm a fellow HP fan too!  :)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Finally! Someone who loves Harry Potter too. I'm not alone!

Thanks for commenting...

savetheplanet replied...
I'm Harry Potter fan too!  IN YOUR FACE HARRY-HATERS!

LoriBird said...
I havn't read harry potter, but you're kind of making me wish I did

I think, concerning Rowling's novels, you have to get through the relatively corny plot. The first book is quite simple and accordingly corny. The last is, to say the least, a masterpiece of fantasy literature.

DreamWriter15 said...
Oh my gosh, this is so beautiful!  I absolutely LOVE the last two paragraphs.  You have amazing tallent! 

I appreciate your compliment! Just curious, have you read the Harry Potter books?

DreamWriter15 replied...
Uh, haha, NO.  They're down there in the realm of Twilight and Stephen King that I do not read.  I'll read anything but horror, vampires, and intense sorcery.

Sept. 9, 2010 at 9:49 am
No. No. No. No. NO!

Sept. 9, 2010 at 9:51 am
Sorry, I just detest Twilight and am not a fan of Mr. King. I admit, Harry Potter involves magic, and yet J. K. Rowling is utterly brilliant. Shouldn't even be compared to Twilight. If you read through to the end, you'll understand.

Sept. 9, 2010 at 9:52 am
Sorry, I just detest Twilight.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Haha, I'm right there with you, bud, I HATE Twilight!  It is possibly the most over-rated movie/book series of our time, and I shudder to think that it will still be big and being remade when our kids are our age.  [convulses]  Eugh, leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Thank you for your sympathy (regarding an anti-sympathy for Twilight fans). To get that bad taste out of your mouth, try a lollipop. Maybe while listening to the Julius Dixson and Beverly Ross song 'Lollipop.'

DreamWriter15 replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 10:52 am
Hm, never heard it.  Haha, I'm not one to listen to songs about food, it makes me want that food, and I usually don't have it in hand...haha

Inherinerd said...
AHHHHHHHHH III love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved how you started with your childhood. This is a story that realates to almost everyone in some way or form and it is amazing

I was deeply flattered by each of the thirty exclamation marks that you used to express your love for this. I'm delighted that you can relate to it and grateful for your comment.

Inherinerd replied...
Ur welcome.. were ther really thirty exclamation points?