Oppositional Defiant Disorder

By , Houston, TX
I was diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) at the age of nine. ODD is a disruptive behavioral disorder, and is one of the most common found in children and adolescents. The child/adolescent does not see his or her behavior as a problem and commonly blames others for his or her reaction – seeing it as a justifiable response to the circumstances. Often, the child/adolescent is being extremely antagonistic and unpleasant. Also there is likely to be severe verbal aggression which sometimes leads to severe physical aggression. These problems are not temporary and interfere in all aspects of the child/adolescent’s life and simple functioning.
The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry clinically defines ODD as an ongoing pattern of uncooperative, defiant, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that seriously interfere with day to day functioning and “create a significant disturbance in social academic, or occupational functioning”.
Symptoms of ODD are:

Frequent temper tantrums

Excessive arguing with adults and authority figures

Active defiance leading to a refusal to comply with adult responses and requests

Deliberate attempts to annoy and upset others

Not taking responsibility for one’s own actions

Being extremely moody or touchy and easily annoyed by others

Frequent sudden anger and resentment or vindictiveness

Verbal threats and physical acts

Mean, spiteful or hateful talking when upset – including swearing

Negative or hostile behavior or other signs of aggression

Seeking revenge against the individual they felt upset or wronged them.
I have ODD and I can honestly say it feels like I am the only person on the planet who has it because it seems like no one understands me. I cannot attend regular school and have constant conflict with adults. The only person who truly understands me is my psychiatrist. ODD is something I would wish on no person. It truly is a disorder. My experience of ODD has left me alone. The only friends I have are online and people do not stay around me for long periods of time. Since the age of nine I have had several hospitalizations and have been on various medications. Each day I have a cocktail of pills I must take just to be normal.
I guess it all started when I tried to kill my mother. That happened several times. The first time I attempted to stab her in her sleep. I changed my mind. The second time I intended to poison her drink with cleaning fluids. I had second thoughts and decided to tell her what I did before she took a sip. My mom called 911. I vaguely remember what happened after that. I do remember being strapped down to a gurney and being transported by ambulance to a hospital where I waited in restraints for a couple hours until they decided to admit me to the mental hostpital where I stayed for about a week on my best behavior.
For a while no one believed my mother when she told people about me because I only acted out around her. A couple more incidents happened (me destroying places where we lived) until my mom called 911 again. This time I fought the police and yelled and cursed at them. They believed my mother once I started fighting the nurses at the mental hostpital. Nothing could stop me then. I was put in isolation several times. I did not care, so I destroyed the room and when they came to control me, I bit the nurses. Surprisingly the longest I have stayed in a hospital has been only one week. I have been hostpitalized five times in my entire life. It has been a crazy road for my mom and I, but we are getting through it.
Some people think I am possessed. Others think I have serious mental problems. I say, I am just me.

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 3:06 am
Wow! I have no idea what that would feel like! Great article!