Gandhi's Face This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I never knew Gandhi had such a lovely face. I was looking for the word “gallant” in the dictionary. I guess I must have skipped a few pages past it. Then I saw his name. “Gandhi, Mohandas Karamchand. Known as Mahatma. 1869-1948. Indian leader who developed the practice of nonviolent disobedience that gained independence for India.”

On the other side of the page, past a row of words, ­etymologies, and definitions, was a picture of him – goofy-looking, bald, bespectacled. He looked so happy, I even smiled. I guess I turned the page, because right after I blinked the blurriness from my eyes, there was a big mascara teardrop on the word “gallant.”

Why I cried, I'm still not sure. Maybe I'm jealous of the pure happiness radiating from his face. Maybe I want someone like him in my life. Or maybe I recognize that smile as my own, one I used to have when I was truly happy, not surrounded by endless barricades of snow, not angry and adamant against my parents. I may have recognized it so much that when I saw him, I cried, like someone who sees a friend after years of thinking they are gone forever. Maybe that's it. Maybe.

Vidra This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This piece is truely beautiful.

Xela13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I LIKE IT ALSO. JUST TO SEE WHAT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT IM GOIBG TO LOOK HIM UP AS WELL!

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I received a lot of joy from reading this piece. Despite its simple style, it is exceptionally beautiful. I admire Gandhi and his teachings so much, I begin to understand why there is joy in his face. I thank you dearly for writing this.