It Hits You Like a Ton of Bricks | Teen Ink

It Hits You Like a Ton of Bricks

By JessicaScaffidi SILVER, Tucson, Arizona
JessicaScaffidi SILVER, Tucson, Arizona

It’s not like anything happened.

It’s not like you and him turned into anything. You were never a couple… Or even an “item” for that matter.

Just good friends. Good friends is what he called you two. Besties. It was never good enough for you though was it?… Because you still can’t seem to let him go; get him out of your mind. He’s still in there, even when you find another good friend to fill the void; he will always be your one in a million.

Besties.

Was he really that to you? Hell, no. You always knew he was more. Much, much more. Even when you swore you were over him. No matter how hard you tried to forget your feelings, and no matter how many tears rolled down your cheeks, he was always like your oxygen; like your world would come crashing down if he had never existed… Right?

Right.

And you killed yourself. You killed yourself trying to block him out. But everyday you would see his smile, and get sucked right back in. But it felt good. It felt amazing. To be wrapped in his arms. To have him hold you close enough to smell his cologne. It was your heaven wasn’t it?

Did you get that pain in your chest? That feeling of emptiness when he wasn’t around? Like when he left the room he didn’t just take his smile with him, but he took all of you insides with him too? He cleaned you out. Until you were hollow.

But you’re over him now. He’s gone, and you’re starting over.

And still, everytime you let your mind slip back to one of those memories of your first love, the pain comes rushing back.

It hits you like a ton of bricks.

Shay<3 said...
on Feb. 24 2015 at 12:29 pm
I know maybe this is a late response but reading this now makes me feel stupid. Not about your writing though, you wrote this beautifully

on Jul. 9 2011 at 3:03 am
JessicaScaffidi SILVER, Tucson, Arizona
thanks!! it means alot

on Jul. 9 2011 at 3:03 am
JessicaScaffidi SILVER, Tucson, Arizona
wow. thank you. it means alot to me that you appreciate it that much to re-read it. :)

. said...
on Sep. 7 2010 at 8:38 pm
Wow. I totallt get this!! I nluv how you wrote it out. Very good job. ;D

on Sep. 6 2010 at 11:43 pm
mellystone GOLD, Hinsdale, Illinois

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. -PHILIPPIANS 4:6-7

wow, after reading this again months later it means so much more to me. i can completely relate thanks to a few recent events. i am so grateful to have stumbled upon this tonight. it's that good.

on Apr. 21 2010 at 11:42 pm
JessicaScaffidi SILVER, Tucson, Arizona
Thank you so much!(:

on Apr. 18 2010 at 3:44 pm
mellystone GOLD, Hinsdale, Illinois

this is really good!