Letter to a Future Date This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Whatever-Your-Name-Is, I'm writing this to convince myself that you're out there. I really hope you're out there. Please be out there. Right now I am 14 and the Amazing Non-Dating Girl of my middle school.

This is all my parents' doing. I am not allowed to think about guys (the horror!) until I finish college. And maybe a doctorate.

But if, by some miracle, you find me before my oh-so-imperative education has run its course, my mom has consented to let me bring you home for dinner. She will make lasagna and ask where you go to church. My dad will wear his clergy collar, bleached extra-white for the occasion, and carry a pair of nunchucks looped through his belt. He will drill you on math, so come prepared.

My twin brother might enter with pictures of me in my “braces and acne” stage a few years ago – but only if he's feeling protective. If he's feeling normal, he will try to sneak the bright yellow whoopee cushion he got in his Christmas stocking onto a chair. Please be aware of this upon entering the house. If you sit on it, he won't stop laughing until dinner.

My younger sister, Angie, will be examining your clothing with the scrutiny of a New York fashionista, so don't mix your prints. Devin … well, it depends whether he's mad at me today, and what kind of extinct animal he's currently studying. You might see him, you might not. If you do, please refrain from making fun of his bad haircut. It's a sensitive subject among 11-year-olds.

Dear Whatever-Your-Name-Is, I'm only slightly exaggerating. I might not have to finish a doctorate before I can date.

I hope I didn't scare you off. Please don't get scared off. I've prepared you the best I can.

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very sweet~ I smiled the whole time reading this article:)

MistrBrighterside said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:57 am:
That was really cute! Do more Dear Whatever-Your-Name-Is stories.

silentpeacock said...
u totally remind me of me!

Afra- said...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 8:40 am:

wow it remind me of soemone i know

BieberLover16 said...
Oct. 25, 2011 at 9:04 am:
I love it!!!! Keep Writing! :D

mightierthanthesword said...
Oct. 22, 2011 at 7:05 am:
Lovely! Very relatable, simple, and yet very effective. Keep on writing!

Padfoot518 said...
my parents wouldn't let my date until high school. trust me, your not missing much. :) I've been single for about a year now and proud of it!

Alon_Freevoice said...
Jul. 30, 2011 at 4:53 am:
This is cute and at the same time kinda funny. :)))

AddyMarie123 said...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm:
This was really good! (:

Cookies said...
May 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm:
Awesome letter. This is so what you must warn your "perfect person" about. I hope you find him. :D

Aspiringauhor said...
Haha yeah same... I loved this! :) Already I'm getting teased by my siblings.... For just saying a boy's name! When I bring a boy home... Oh, the horror! :)

buzzlikebea This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is so cute. i'm the oldest of all my siblings, and i always get picked on when im talking to a guy, on the phone or even just texting. great job

okinawagirl said...

Cute- and I can relate. My family would react the same way :)

Check out my stuff please!

Volleyball10 said...
Clever; good word choice and I can picture your family. Very good.

whatshername said...
this is great!

Khellific said...
I like this article because your descriptions of your family members really tell what their personality is like.

Mexican named PACO said...
This sounds sad. Do you want to have a guy?

janeeyre This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 8:43 pm :
I have one now, actually. And he did recieve this letter(:

tatter totts 492 said...
You are very deep

Star boob said...
Wow. I understand what your saying due to how beautiful you illustrated it.