A Childhood Memory | Teen Ink

A Childhood Memory

June 7, 2009
By elvy lopez BRONZE, Gardena, California
elvy lopez BRONZE, Gardena, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

One of my favorite childhood memories is of me entering a drawing contest for Wal-Mart when I was about five years old. My family and I entered the busy store and my older brother and I were asked if we wanted to enter a drawing contest for Grandparents Day. The task was simply to draw our grandparents so I said yes and the employee quickly seated me at a nearby table. The table was neatly set up. There were crayons, colored pencils, water colors and stickers I could use to decorate my drawing with. I was intimidated as I turned to look at the wall of previously drawn portraits. I thought I had no chance of winning because I saw entries that were amazing! Of course, the better pictures were drawn by older children such as my brother. Being five years old and sentimentally fragile, I was afraid to lose. Frightened or not, I continued. I picked up my crayons and gave it a shot. I dressed my grandma in a red vintage dress with matching heels and a matching purse. Her hair was short, curly and brightly orange. Her shimmery eyes jumped off the page in their lovely hazel color. My grandfather stood by her side with a sky blue shirt. He wore brown pants and untidy sneakers that were worn down because he was always working on renovating his house. I forgot to draw his left arm. The reason to why slips my mind but I am sure I did not do it on purpose. In fact, I’m glad I didn’t include his left, upper limb. I think it added character. I wrapped up my drawing and turned it in to the cheery workers who asked me to enter the contest. They lined my siblings and me for a photo we took for participating. My mom then gave them a smile and farewell and took my hand for we had to continue with our visit to the store. About three days later, my mom excitingly told me that I won the contest. I didn’t know what she was talking about so I asked her, “Which one?!” She replied,”The Wal-Mart one! Where you drew your grandma and grandpa!” I jumped for joy. I could not believe that out of all the children in the local county, I won. My mom and I got into the car and drove back to Wal-Mart where I picked up my prizes. I won a small Ficus tree that my mom adored, an ice skating Barbie and a ten dollar check. Now that I think about it, it seems like a small prize, but being so young, I couldn’t have asked for more. At that moment when I was retrieving my winnings I knew that I would live to tell my story. And here I am. If I could, I would go back and relive the experience. For childhood is one of the priceless gifts we get in life. Some memories of ours are glum while the others are spectacular. But either way, we remember. And we tell our tales to others because the greatest stories we have are the ones we have lived ourselves.