Finding Myself | Teen Ink

Finding Myself

By yung_4hed BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
yung_4hed BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

Oh, 7th grade. this year has been a rough one. I started off good, happy to be at school and back in karate. I turned the big "13" and things changed. One day I found myself sad and upset and I could not figure out why.

Days passed by, and I would become angrier than the day before. At school my attitude changed, but at home I just stayed to myself. I did not know exactly why I was feeling this way.One day at school I did something that I later regretted. Something foolish that broke my mother’s heart. Between my mother and two other women that I truly respect, they reached out to me and asked me if I wanted help.

They started a process for me to have someone to talk to. I do daily thumb check- ins, and I even take breathers in the hallway at school. I still had my bad days, but I started having even better days. At school we did a play " Hamlet " which I really enjoyed! My mother told me I was amazing and how proud of me she was.

So here we are now, and I am seeking help with my anger. I have the biggest support system at home and at school. I knew I did not want to upset my parents or make them sad because they constantly worried about me. So now I am finding myself again. I slacked off so much that my grades are being affected, but it's okay because I got this and I will pass you, 7th grade.

Ohhh, 7th grade -- you will be forever remembered as the year I found myself. Because my language arts teacher pushed me and pushed me to be the best because I know she believes in me. But my parents, I know they work so hard to provide me with the life I have.

7th grade, you have taught me one thing: that no matter what life may throw at me, I have the power and the ability to change it and make it better for MYSELF. That it is okay to fall and ask for help. To not be ashamed of what was and to know that everything that can be will have a greater outcome.

Thank you 7th grade for a life lesson I will not forget. And, to the ones who support me it means a lot.

i wrote it

on May. 21 2019 at 11:09 am
kallenbachoshoe BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
This is a great piece that brought tears to my eyes. Keep on rocking and pass that 7th grade!

samthesuper5 said...
on May. 21 2019 at 11:09 am
samthesuper5, Orlando, Florida
this kid goes to my school and he is a good writer he deserves to be in a magazine