My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

March 1, 2019
By lvarhol16 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
lvarhol16 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Lauren looks like a light colored name like lavender or baby blue. It could also be white or cream with little paisley dots of pink, purple, and blue. Lauren is the English cognate of the French name Laurence. I also saw that my name can mean from the place of the laurel trees which are sweet and full of honor and wisdom.


If you’re not artistic, you can think of Lauren as a number. My name makes me think of the number seven and fifteen.


In a musical standpoint, Lauren sounds different when written in different ways. When written in cursive or connected writing, Lauren sounds like classical notes flowing together carefully and softly on a piano. When written in a generic font, Lauren sounds like string instruments like the violin and cello. A lot of names look more elegant when written in beautiful, flowing cursive writing.


When it comes to textures, I see smooth textures like glass. Not glass like on a car or window. I mean ultra smooth glass that feels like water when you touch it. Glass that hasn’t even been invented yet.


I would’ve liked my parents to pick something a little more unique so ten Laurens wouldn’t be raising their hands at the same time when called. When I asked my parents why they picked this stupidly popular name, they answered me by saying they couldn’t decide between the two beautiful names Lauren and Grace, so they picked one to be my first name and the other to be my middle. To have originality, I tried to make a nickname for myself.


There were only these two nicknames and they’re not flattering. My parents used to call me Lauren-not-so-graceful and drunken sailor because I was so off balanced in my toddler years. When I got older and realized what those words meant, I tearfully demanded they stop calling me names. I was a bit of a drama queen. So here I am. I’m still Lauren and I’m still annoyed.


During my freshman year of high school, I learned there were even more common names than mine. There were tens of Emilys, multiple Annies and Annas, and tons of Abbys and Abigails. For the first time in my life, I gained a new appreciation for my name. For the first time, my name was passable.


As the years went on, I discovered many other views of my name. One of my friends described me as, “such a Gemini!” I will admit I am pretty adaptable, outgoing, intelligent, indecisive, impulsive, and nosy.


When I think of Lauren as a person in general, I think of Lauren as a solitary person but not a lonely person. Lauren sounds like she isn’t much of a partier and probably would just hang with a couple of friends for an evening. But sometimes I feel like Laurens can be people pleasers and do what people want.


I think Laurens need to sometimes get their anger out but they don’t show their anger to anyone. I think this describes me pretty well. I’m not exactly angry as a Lauren. No, not angry, just a little frustrated that my name is common. Though it sounds as if I resent my name every day more and more, I’m actually starting to hate it less and less.


The author's comments:

My first essay in a class called Composition. Hope everyone likes it. :)