Service | Teen Ink

Service

By zliang BRONZE, East Newark, New Jersey
zliang BRONZE, East Newark, New Jersey

“...Diameter 0.4 millimeters; Left side 3.5 millimeters; right side 2.2 millimeters; no ascitic fluid. Next patient!” the radiologist shouted a series of numbers across the room. Behind a sapphire curtain, I held my breath and gripped a pen firmly in my fist, trying to trace back the voice that just slipped away from the back of my mind.

In the summer of my sophomore year, I volunteered at a local hospital for a month. There, I coordinated with patients at the radiology department to set up appointments, and took notes of doctor’s diagnosis. It was partially my interest in the healthcare industry and majorly a longing for new experience that motivated me to work as a volunteer there. Only had I ever had the experience being a patient waiting impatiently in a crowded room filled with ceaseless chattering. It wasn’t until a patient went on a one-hour rant in front of the whole radiology department about how long she had to wait before coming in, not knowing that we had been working for the past four consecutive hours, that I realized that the hardship I previously perceived in working in a service industry was rather an underestimation.

Determined to persevere, I taught myself patience in the process of interacting with patients as well as ways that made my work more enjoyable. When a patient gets mad at the physical examinations that were requested by the doctors, I was indefatigable enough to explain the importance of these procedures with a smile on my face. I have learned to jot down clinical notes in professional abbreviations with great care and meticulousness. Despite receiving unfair judgements from patients in the looks they gave to an inexperienced, fifteen-year-old hospital volunteer, I had never regretted the decision of working at Nanfang Hospital. Service demands empathy, dedication, and a willingness to give to those who are holding me accountable. It is putting others’ needs first, and being responsible. During my time there, I have acquired the skill to establish relationships with the patients that I had the honor to serve, and to be committed to making a difference in the work that I was doing.

After last summer, I stepped back to the other side of the doctor’s desk. This time, I chose to let my gratitude and appreciation take the form of a heartfelt "Thank you".

on Feb. 7 2019 at 10:29 am
tamizombbie758, Ok, Oklahoma
soo awsome ya